Sound Fatal Error!

Alien463 18:54 13 Jul 2003

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

I have a Compaq Presario Internet PC model 5146ea running windows me.

I recently posted a thread about some help i needed in regards to my sound driver: after installing a driver update sound no longer seemed to work on my computer, and the volume control icon would not open. For more information click on:

click here

I followed the advice on the forum, and installed service pack 19397 onto my computer (driver).

However, after the required reboot I got the following error on startup when the hardware configuration dialog came up:

A fatal error has occurred.

IFSMGR(04) + 000129D0 Error: 0E : 0028 : C02B2F2(L or C)

When I press enter the computer freezes, and I have to reboot using ctrl + alt+ del. I had to resort to reverting my computer to a previous time using Go Back to get rid of the error, but of course sound still does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Alien463

madPentium 00:57 14 Jul 2003

have you tried the obvious? go in safe mode and in control panel/system/device manager highlight anything to do with your sound card and remove it. Now reboot and see if the drivers install correctly.
Another thing to watch out for is your version of directx. Your sound drivers may require a newer version.

Alien463 11:27 19 Jul 2003

Hi,

Thanks for the posting, but after much effort I was able to isolate the problem to a program called HideFiles that I had installed on my computer.

Everything worked fine after uninstalling this software.

Thanks again,

Alien463

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?