Sound drivers

Billy911 13:50 17 Mar 2006

I recently formatted the HDD on my laptop then installed Win XP Pro. Unfortunately there's no sound. Device Manager shows that the sound drivers are not installed. Are there any generic drivers on the Win XP CD? If not and I have to download them how do I find out the correct ones to download?

Belatucadrus 13:57 17 Mar 2006

Locating drivers for laptops can be difficult if you haven't got the original disk, probably the most likely download location would be the laptop manufacturers site.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:58 17 Mar 2006

PC inventory takers :-
Belarc click here
SIW click here
SiSandra click here

one of these will tell you all equipment installed in your laptop, once you know chipset (Ac97)then download drivers from net

Billy911 09:59 21 Mar 2006

Thanks for the advice Belatucadrus & Fruit Bat /\0/\. I managed to find the drivers but unfortunately they keep failing half way through the install. Will the Win XP disk have any generic sound drivers on it? I don't care about quality of sound - I just want sound!

Billy911 15:38 21 Mar 2006

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss here.

Belatucadrus 16:51 21 Mar 2006

The fact that you've no sound after a reformat would tend to suggest not, or Windows would have used them during the install. I suspect you need to resolve whatever issues you are having with the correct drivers, have you tried installing them in safe mode ?

Stuartli 16:57 21 Mar 2006

Have you tried installing them from Device Manager, allowing XP to find the drivers?

Billy911 16:33 22 Mar 2006

Thanks Belatucadrus & Stuartli. I tried both ways and although codecs, legacy drivers and other sound related drivers installed there is still an entry in device manager with the yellow exclamation sign on the 'SiS 7018 Audio driver' entry. When I opened properties for this entry the Device Status read: This device cannot start (code 10). Unfortunately there's still no sound.

Stuartli 16:48 22 Mar 2006

Try this link:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?