Sound distortion

CurlyLocks 17:59 01 Feb 2007

When I play music using RealPlayer or Windows Media Player with visualisations enabled the sound is distorted.
If I turn off the visualisations the distortion ceases.
I have no problem with the sound when watching DVDs using Media Player.
My sound card is a Creative X-Fi Fatality.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

jay.p 18:08 01 Feb 2007

i have the same prob.if you press ctrl/alt/del and bring up the task manager in the permormance tab you will prob see your cpu goes to 100% when the sound distortes ( not know why).but i downloaded the latest codecs and improved it a bit. also try
Tools>Options>Devices tab>Highlight Speakers>Properties>ensure that your onboard sound or sound card is the Default Audio Device.
good luck

skidzy 18:17 01 Feb 2007

it may be possible you have missing or broken codecs,try the codec pack click here

CurlyLocks 19:26 01 Feb 2007

Apologies jay.p for my ignorance but when you say try Tools>Options>Devices tab>Highlight Speakers>Properties, where are you referring?
Thanks for your help.

jay.p 20:06 01 Feb 2007

sorry should have said in windows media player click on Tools>Options>Devices tab>Highlight Speakers>Properties>ensure that your onboard sound or sound card is the Default Audio Device

jay.p 20:09 01 Feb 2007

or in control panel in sounds and audio devices in the audio tab check to see if you card is the default device.

CurlyLocks 23:27 06 Feb 2007

Thanks for your help and advice guys.
Having carried out various investigations I have discovered that the problem only occurs when my sound card is in 'Entertainment Mode'. If I switch to 'Game Mode' or 'Audio Creation Mode' the problem is eliminated, which points to a probable sound card fault.
I will let you know the outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?