Sound Device Not Sticking

dogbreath1 12:21 30 Mar 2008

Occasionally and spontaneously, on launching Windows Media Player (WMP) I get the message 'sound device not connected' or words to that effect.

I can use WMP one morning, leave the PC for a while, then try to use WMP sometime later and the offending message may (or may not) be there.

The sound device is a Xitel Hi-Fi Link. It accesses digital audio files on the HDD, converts to an analogue signal and feeds the result to my hi-fi. It also sends all system sounds to my hi-fi.

On receiving the error message and checking in Device Manager, the Xitel is listed and it's status is shown as 'this device is working normally'.

At the moment, the only way I can then use WMP is to uninstall the Xitel, unplug it, then reconnect. My XP sees the 'new device' and installs it only for it to go missing at a later time.

Any ideas to prevent the disappearance would be welcome.

TIA,

db.

howard64 18:00 30 Mar 2008

look to see if any of your devices are set to be switched off to save power - this could be doing it.

dogbreath1 19:13 30 Mar 2008

Thanks for the response, but the only power save options I am aware of relate to monitor, hard drives and system.

I can't trace any reference to power save options specifically for the Xitel Hi-Fi Link.

Currently, my Power settings are all set to 'never'.

howard64 19:56 30 Mar 2008

look at things like your network connection strange things affect other bits in pcs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?