Sound like a cracked record on PC

Flopper 19:53 09 Sep 2007

I am setting up a PC for a friend to use and all is OK except the sound.
When booting up the Windows sound scheme plays perfectly but when playing anything 'external', ie, a CD or a movie or a piece of music copied onto the hard drive the playback sounds like a cracked record, jerky and misfiring.
I have reinstalled the onboard Intel sound card driver a few times and tried different drivers but to no avail.
Any suggestions.
The PC is a basic Celeron 1.3GHZ with onboard sound and video.

jakimo 20:04 09 Sep 2007

Have you tried a different cd player-mobo cable,or fit a new sound card if theres a spare pci slot(Remember to disable the integral sound device in the bios)

irishrapter 20:06 09 Sep 2007

Check in the sound configuration settings that there is not any special effects turned on.

skidzy 20:07 09 Sep 2007

Can you post the motherboard details and we can check the audio driver for you if you wish.

What are you playing the music through,WMP/VLC etc

Try VLC click here
Also you may need some audio codecs due to broken or missing codecs,try the codec pack click here assuming XP.

Flopper 21:40 09 Sep 2007

I have tested further and playing music in both VLC and WMP (9) it is always jerky but when playing a DVD movie the dialogue is spot on but the music is jerky.

Flopper 21:41 09 Sep 2007

Also it is running Windows 2000.

skidzy 21:54 09 Sep 2007

Have you ran the codec pack ? it is compatible with 2000.

Flopper 21:59 09 Sep 2007

I installed the Klite codec pack.

Stuartli 22:09 09 Sep 2007

From Device Manager>CD/DVD drives>Properties>Properties tab>have you Enabled Use Digital Mode with this drive (or similar wording)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone