sound chip or speakers?

hi, i have a thrown together pc i use for vista, it's using the onboard sound of a asus nodusm motherboard which is realtek. plugged into the light green 3.5m socket at the rear is a 5 speaker jvc speaker system,
whatever volume the speakers or pc is set to there is an annoying sound, i thought it ws a fan catching in the case, but its the speakers, it sounds like a very quiet cricket. i have reran all the mains and speaker cables, makes no difference, i have done the hold the power button in with the lead off thing, no change. so do you think this is, a, the sound chip, should i get a sound card? b, duff speakers or maybe a small cricket? sorry!
i cannot try the speakers in my other pc, as it has a custom connection.
many thanks
adam

Technotiger 21:33 07 Jul 2007

Hi, I would definitely go the soundcard route.

i thought as much, should any card work? it's using vista hp, which seems to find its own drivers for the sound/ mobo etc.
thanks for the help.

Joe R 21:42 07 Jul 2007

adman 2,

I have heard the sound you talk about before, and in my case it was a loose connection in the lead from the soundcard to the speakers.

As Marg7 states, you could try a set of headphones first, and this would immediately identify the culprit.

Technotiger 21:43 07 Jul 2007

No, not just any card, Soundblaster Audigy 2, with drivers from Creative should work with Vista.

thanks marg7, must have read your mind, theres no noise if i plug headphones into the pc, however i get the same noise if i plug the 'phones into the sub. i bought the speakers yesterday, have just tried them on a cd player and a combo amplifier and there is no problems. but i dont get this noise when i plug the monitor speakers in?
all the cables are miles away from anything that may interfere.
so i think the amp in the sub is exagerating a noise from the mobo maybe? god why do i have to mess?

many thanks all, will try a sound card and post back my findings.
adam

Technotiger 21:49 07 Jul 2007

Good luck, will look back later to see how you get on.

arggh! which one?
click here

thanks again

Stuartli 22:14 07 Jul 2007

Realtek has Vista drivers for its onboard sound chipsets. See:

click here (basic) or:

click here (HD version).

The Realtek website downloads are very slow by the way.

Have you configured the sound setup properly from the Sound Man panel?

The line in/out sockets are used for surround sound purposes and you have to select the correct combination of sockets lineup in the panel.

I use Realtek onboard sound (switched back to it from a SoundBlaster live! and, to be honest, there's very little difference in the overall quality using a good set of IBM 2.1 speakers.

Technotiger 22:18 07 Jul 2007

As I mentioned above - Audigy 2. I believe Creative do have Vista drivers for this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone