Sound Cards , Speakers and Sub-Woofers

Ramshackle 10:47 05 Feb 2003

Can anyone help please,I have a Sound Blaster Audigy2 sound card and Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 speakers and sub-woofer as I'm not into music is it possible to connect two or three of the speakers directly into the sound card and dispence with the sub-woofer or will this put my PC into orbit? I would imagine the speakers would connect to the three line out sockets is this right?
Thanks Ramshackle

powerless 10:53 05 Feb 2003

Remember the sub-woofer provides all the Bass...So your floor boards wont vibrate and knock the pictures of the wall...

Those 5300 speakers will produce very little bass.

Not sure about the connectivity i have an audigy.

Old PC man 14:10 05 Feb 2003

No it won't work satisfactorily.

The output from your sound card is a pre-amp signal-i.e. it needs to be amplified after it leaves your computer, hence the power requirements of the speakers. The sub woofer has the amplifier in it simply because it's the biggest box and has the most room in it for the amp and its cooling air circulation.

Connection is by a single phono jack plug, not all three.

If you don't want the 5.1 speakers you could sell them and buy a pair of computer speakers for ten quid and pocket the rest.

Result!!!

Hope this helps

John /#))

MartinT-B 15:02 05 Feb 2003

I'm wondering why someone spent £130.00 odd on a soundcard/system that you don't want!

SpyMan²°°­­³ 15:30 05 Feb 2003

I have exactly the same set up as you Ramshackle..
What are you doing??
Why would you get rid of the sub woofer, that is the best part about it.
Don't you play games on your computer?
Don't you listen to music?
I have no need for a HiFi now that i have my PC setup like it is, the sound quality is far superior and louder too.
If you don't have room for them...make room! that is what I have done anyway.

Old PC man 17:22 08 Feb 2003

Has anyone heard from Ramshackle since he posted this thread?? I do hope he hasn't taken offence or electrocuted himself.

Come in Ramshackle, let us know what you thought of the advice. Be honest, we can take it.

Cheers, John /#))

Old PC man 09:11 10 Feb 2003

I've had a very nice e-mail from Ramshackle. I've reiterated all our comments and hope that he will post back here with his comments.

Cheers John /#))

Ramshackle 10:29 10 Feb 2003

Hi all,
Thank you all for your valued comments on my problem, as you would have gathered Im not that much into music.The speakers etc. came bundled with the particular computer that I wanted, I did not go out and buy something that I did not want!(ie.soundcard,speakers) I'm also as Spyman
suggested short of space.
I didn't realise people were so passionate about their music,I thank you all once again for your input.

Regards Ramshackle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?