Sound card on xp

Damarc 09:25 17 Dec 2008

From a recent xp reinstall I've had to download some drivers. I've found that I can't see an altrnative to 'Microphone USB Audio Codec' that is the usb turntable we've recently purchased to change vinyl to cds. The software isn't progressing as it should [it has worked perfectly before xp reinstall]and I can't hear any sound through the earphones that I could hear before. So it might be that I haven't installed the correct driver for the sound card? I've looked under hardware for sound etc. and I've got

Legacy audio drivers
media control devices
audio codecs
Legacy video capture devices
video codecs
usb audio device

I have a Dell dimension 3000 running on xp. Is there something missing please?

Technotiger 09:45 17 Dec 2008

Download and install the latest Codec pack click here, if you still have no sound then un-install and re-install the software for your USB turntable.

MAJ 09:47 17 Dec 2008

Have you installed this driver? click here

birdface 10:19 17 Dec 2008

Or try this its free.click here

Damarc 16:40 17 Dec 2008

But this has seemingly disabled my dvd/cd rom drive which is a Philips 8701. Windows asks me to uninstall and reinstall through device manager etc. but it did give a warning so before I do is there another way of going about this. I seem to be going two steps forward and one step back all the time.

Damarc 09:46 18 Dec 2008

Soundmax was the driver advised by Dell given to me by Maj so it should be ok. The sound does work now but I don't understand why the dvd drive now doesn't work.

Technotiger 10:10 18 Dec 2008

The sound driver should not affect the working of the DVD Drive. In Devices try updating the driver for the DVD Drive, before trying the uninstall/reinstall route.

Technotiger 10:29 18 Dec 2008

Another easy solution for many DVD/CD drives that appear not to work, is to run a DVD Cleaning disc in the drive - quite often it is simply a matter of a slightly dirty Laser Lens in the drive.

MAJ 11:30 18 Dec 2008

Explain exactly what you mean by "the dvd drive now doesn't work". Is it detected in Device Manager and My Computer yet it wont play CDs/DVDs?

Damarc 12:13 18 Dec 2008

The driver was listed in Device Manager as working properly, now it has an exclamation mark by it. It will accept cds and the light goes on the drive but it then does nothing. I have installed numerous bits of software on my pc through the drive since xp has been reinstalled with no problem. It was only at the point when I was checking that soundmax was working my sound ok, that I noticed in the hardware in sounds and audio devices, that although the drive was listed it said it was not working properly. As the only thing I had done was download soundmax I assumed somehow, something had got switched off in the process. It says the driver may be corrupted or missing [code 39]. Troubleshooting says uninstall through device manager and then reinstall by hardward wizard.

Damarc 12:16 18 Dec 2008

Have tried to update driver and it went through the wizard and came out with @can't find a better match than the one already [email protected] So it's there, just not working properly for some reason.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017