Sound card recommendations please!

Valleys boy 14:36 27 Jan 2006

Hi there. I've just started creating some tunes on my PC (using cubase), and I'm getting to a stage now where I need a better sound card.

So, can anyone recommend (or point me in the direction of a good website) a very good sc? I will be looking to record from midi devices therefore require good connectivity and a low latency.

Also, how do I know the sc will be compatable with my PC and is there any difference between internal and external cards?

Thanks in advance!

ade.h 16:21 27 Jan 2006

You have not mentioned a budget. Most serious amateur and professional composers tend to use Terratec, though some use the high-end versions of Creative Audigy cards. The former is biased towards your side of the market, while the upper end of Creative's range has loads of bells and whistles to accomodate a variety of demands, not least gaming. On a stricter budget, the clear choice is M-Audio. Excellent quality chipset, often described as being almost as good as Terratec, but cheaper. A good no-frills M-Audio card can be found for less than £100.

Valleys boy 16:33 27 Jan 2006

Thanks for that ade - I'm willing to fork out £200 for a quality card so I'll check out the Terratec range - cheers!

ade.h 17:21 27 Jan 2006

If you want to spend upto £200, Terratec is the best choice for midi work.

DamianScott 00:11 01 Feb 2006

Yep, Terratec or Audigy will both do you proud. Also, you'll benefit from lots of ram, a fast processor and a fast secondary hard drive that's reserved purely for your music. Cubase will then run smooooothly.

:o)

Damian

Looking for computer spares? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?