Sound card and network card problem

cheekymoose 18:54 13 Jul 2007

Having a bit of a problem. Yesterday the sound on my laptop stopped working, audio and system sounds, and this morning my wireless network card stopped working too. When I open Win Media Player I get the message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly". When I open the device manager it says both cards are installed, they are working properly and there are no conflicts. Last night I did a windows update and it didn't fix the sounds, I have checked and downloaded and installed anything to do with the drivers. I have also done a system restore. Before anyone suggests it, not it is not muted and the volume is turned up. I dont have any disks for the laptop so that is not an option. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

LastChip 23:49 13 Jul 2007

Identify the devices correctly in Device Manager and download the correct drivers for the devices into a separate file (only so you can navigate to it). They will probably be available from your laptop manufacturers web site.

Then, remove both devices from Device Manager and reboot the laptop.

You should get the "Found new hardware" message. Point the installation program to your downloaded drivers and reinstall.

Alternatively, do a search for your laptop model and see if there are any known problems in this area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?