sound card and cd drive problem with older gateway

moosie 18:08 15 Mar 2005

I need some help I have an older gateway computor and when I use media player to listen to cds or music the sound breaks up. It is very annoying I tried to replace the cd drive but it wouldn't work with the gateway hard drive. I have also looked for the sound card to change it but I can't find it is it in the motherboard. If anyone out there can help or has had this problem and found a fix for it let me know.
Moosie

Technotiger 18:17 15 Mar 2005

Hi, your pc probably uses on-board sound (in mobo). I would advise fitting a pci sound-card to solve your problem - if you do, don't forget to disable on-board sound in the BIOS.

Cheers.

moosie 20:52 16 Mar 2005

Hi got your message and it sounds right on, but how do I go about making the change, and what is the right sound card to buy that will work with this computor, also how do I disable the bios, also could the speakers have something to do with this?

Thanks for the help

Moosie

Technotiger 21:10 16 Mar 2005

Hi again, a Soundblaster pci souncard should work fine, there are different types under the same name, depends how much you are prepared to pay - should not be a lot £15 roughly for a cheap one, more if you wish. To disable the on-board sound in the BIOS - restart your pc and during the restart hold down the Del key, this should bring up the BIOS Main Menu window, shown within this window are details of how to navigate the menu - navigate through the BIOS until you come to Integrated Peripherals then to the OnChip Device Function, you will then see AC97 Sound Device for which the settings are enable/disable, make sure it is set to disable. Then press F10 on your keyboard and Esc to exit the BIOS.
If you still have poor sound then try different speakers.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?