Sound Card Advice

RJack 21:20 17 Nov 2007

I'm in the process of upgrading a pc with a bare bones package however i've decided to donate my old pc to my other half.

The problem is I have lost the motherboard drivers & I'm unable to get any sound on the pc. I've tried looking for drivers to download however this does not seem to work.

I have now decided to buy a sound card for the pc however i'm not sure if all soundcards are the same or whether i have to go for a specific type like you do with a grapgics card (AGP/PCI-E)

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 but i'm not sure what card to buy.

Any help would be most aprreciated

Thanks

Totally-braindead 23:23 17 Nov 2007

I found the drivers easily click here you will need to know what revision your board is.
If I recall correctly it tells you when it first boots up what revision it is though you have to be fast to catch it as its the screen before it starts to load windows or you can look on the board as I'm sure it will have the motherboard number on it somewhere and will say v1.0 or whatever.

Totally-braindead 23:25 17 Nov 2007

Actually just checked version 1.0 and version 2.0 and the audio drivers are exactly the same so either would do for that.

If you've reinstalled windows you might find some of the other drivers would be better for your PC and would be better downloading them all and try installing them.

RJack 01:48 18 Nov 2007

Thanks for the advice

Yes I've just done a fresh reinstall but when it came to finding my Motherbard Drivers for the onboard sound i couldn't find the diak

I have reinstall Windows XP SP2 & all windows updates as well as most Graphics Card updates & everything seems to work good except ther sound.

I've downloaded the AC97 Audio drivers from your link but i'm still not getting any sound.

I have checked Device Manager & i am getting conflicts in my other devices folder in the following

Multimedia Controller
Multimedia Video Controller
Unknown Device
DELL E171FP

I've tried using the New Hardware Wizard but windows can't detect it. Not sure if this could be the reason for lack of sound

Cheers

RJack 09:05 18 Nov 2007

Forgot to add I have checked Bios also to make sure onboard sound is enabled

RJack 11:10 18 Nov 2007

if I bought a new sound card would i need a certain type or are all sound cards generic? I know with grphics cards it's AGP or PCI-E

Does this work the same with Soundcards?

I'm now thinking of just buying asound card & disabling the onboard sound on motherboard in bios

Many thanks

Totally-braindead 11:35 18 Nov 2007

Any sound card would work, they are nearly all PCI sound cards and thats what you need, the PCI slot is the white one inside your PC and you'll probably have 3 or 4 of them.
I've been dissapointed with cheapo ones better to get a basic creative labs one in my opinion.

I'll be honest with you here and say that I think you're better getting to the bottom of this and fixing it as you have too many errors. You might be better reinstalling from scratch and heres what to do. It MUST be done in this order and I think you haven't done this and that this is the source of your problems.

Firstly goto the link I gave you and download all the drivers for your motherboard and then burn them to disk.

Install windows as normal and then in this order do this.

Install the motherboard drivers, starting with the chipset and then the rest in any order you like.

Once that is done then you can install the graphics drivers and drivers for everything else.

Its very important that the chipset is done first, if not anything installed afterwards might not be right. This is particularly true of the graphics.

You could before reinstalling windows try installing the chipset drivers and then the audio and see what that does. You might need to reinstall the graphics drivers etc again to make sure they are ok.

Burn them to disk first so you have a copy.

RJack 18:13 18 Nov 2007

Thanks for the update.

Just out of curiosity when i run DXDiag i got this message back.

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

Does this mean i have a cnfliction somewhere?

Totally-braindead 22:42 18 Nov 2007

It could be a conflict, you said earlier you had 3 conflicts showing in device manager.

Have you tried downloading and installing the drivers?

RJack 10:08 19 Nov 2007

thnaks for all your help. could resolve the conflict so i did a fresh install starting with the chipset drivers then sound & everything works great.

Thanks once again & sorry to have asked so many questions

:)

Totally-braindead 14:06 19 Nov 2007

Thats all right RJack glad its sorted now and you didn't have to shell out for a sound card!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?