Sound Blaster 64 Gold garbled sound with W98SE.

Windsor 16:53 21 Mar 2004

I have recently reformated and in spite of getting the latest driver, the sound is very garbled. I have had this before but have forgotten how I cured it.
The sound is fine from the soundcard source but is not so from the Control Panel 'Sound' source. I guess this is internal to my motherboard.
Any clues?

Windsor.

Windsor 18:08 23 Mar 2004

The sound cannot be Sound Blaster originated.

It is the sound s that are generated when windows is entered etc.

The first time one is generated it is OK. But from then on it is distorted.

Thanks crx600 for your advice - but no go!

Anybody else got any ideas???

Gongoozler 19:04 23 Mar 2004

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I had a different Soundblaster card that would only behave in Windows 98se when I disabled legacy support via device manager. Legacy support is only there for DOS based applications and so isn't needed in Windows.

Windsor 22:08 21 Nov 2004

I have recently had to reformat and my old problem of garbled sound from the motherboard - not sound card as it was there before I installed it.
I have a KT7A ABIT motherboard and what ever I try to instal - there is no effect.
Has anyone got any ideas please???

Windsor

Gongoozler 09:11 22 Nov 2004

Hi Windsor. This thread is ticked as resolved. Does that mean that you've cured the problem?

Windsor 12:18 28 Nov 2004

To Gongoozler

I thought it was OK but it is not now!

Playing the sound files - say 'chord' is garbled in other software so it appears to be the files that are to blame. I have tried to download them from the windows98 SE disc - but to no avail. Any idea where I can get them from?

Windsor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?