sound answer to sound problem please

bumpkin 18:40 11 Oct 2014
Answered

I have TV/Monitor and 2 PCs connected to Creative external sound system. Sound from TV via the Creative is good all works well. Sound from either of the PCs works but not from the RH speaker although the bass unit still works and the LH one. Checked settings, balance etc on both PCs. Swapped cables around but no difference. Both PCs feed into the TV input and the out connector then goes to the external speakers. I am thinking that it is something to do with the TV/monitor but I failed to sort it so any advice most welcome.

bumpkin 20:19 11 Oct 2014

Plenty of sound from the working speaker but distorts on high volume which it does not if direct from TV.

Woolwell 21:58 11 Oct 2014

It might help if you stated which OS, the model of the TV and how the PC's are connected to it eg HDMI.

bumpkin 15:52 12 Oct 2014

Hi, sorry for the delay had other things to do today. Win7 on one pc XP pro on the other. TV is a Bush LED22982FHD. All connected with standard 3.5mm audio plugs and cables.

bumpkin 20:57 12 Oct 2014

bump

Woolwell 10:43 13 Oct 2014

If only one speaker is working plus the sub-woofer it may be an indication that the 3.5 mm plug into the TV is not firmly home or is faulty.

bumpkin 12:40 13 Oct 2014

All the equipment is working OK, it has to be the way I have it connected up. The TV works in TV mode and plays through the external amp. If I use it as a monitor to say watch a DVD then it malfunctions unless I unplug the TV output cable and then its fine. Means I have to re-connect the cable to use it as a TV again. No real hardship but I am sure there must be a better way.

Woolwell 13:06 13 Oct 2014

I'm sorry but I don't understand how the PC's are connected to the TV for sound. The fault could lie with that connection.

bumpkin 13:36 13 Oct 2014

Pity I can't do a circuit diagram here but I will try to explain. The 2 PCs are connected to a changeover switch PC1 or PC2 or off. Cable from there goes to the input on the TV/Monitor then from the TV/monitor output to the amp.

Woolwell 14:11 13 Oct 2014

I think that you can rule out the cable from TV to amp as the sound is OK when using TV only. That leaves the input to TV. One channel only (R) can be caused by the cable between the switch and TV being faulty or not fully pushed home at one end. Have you tried without the switch?

bumpkin 15:01 13 Oct 2014

I have tried without the switch and tried different cables. My opinion is that the amp won't function properly with more than one thing connected at a time even if there is no input from one of them. I think the solution may be a 3 input 1 output switch. Looked on Ebay and plenty available but hideous things with phono connectors so adapters needed and I am trying to keep the number of connections to a minimum. A short MxFE lead from the back of the TV and just unplug the cable would be neater and simple but it is not me:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017