Sound Advice Please - only one speaker works ?

Tinkey Winkey 21:34 07 Nov 2005

I can only get one speaker to work on my new pc which I built myself.

I have tried new , different speakers but the problem remains.

Have uninstalled & reinstalled the C Media onboard audio drivers to no avail.

Have checked the balance setting on the PC and it is positioned in the middle.

Have I wired up something wrong on the motherboard ?

Is my onboard audio on the motherboard faulty ?

ACOLYTE 21:47 07 Nov 2005

What programs do you use to play music and the like,maybe one of those has a slider set wrong.There isnt a lot to wire up for onboard sound that i can think of,maybe the audio cable to the cd player,thats about all i can think of.

DieSse 21:53 07 Nov 2005

"Have I wired up something wrong on the motherboard ?"

Possibly - I presume the sound is on the motherboard

Did you attempt to wire up front panel audio connectors - it's not always very straightforward - double check what you've done in the manual.

If you did wire up a front panel, try putting the motherboard back to how it shipped - you could have a faulty socket on the front panel.

wobblymike 21:54 07 Nov 2005

Go into control panel, sounds and audio devices and click the audio tab.
Selact volume and ensure that the balance slider tab hasn't somehow got set to one side or the other. If this isn't the problem try a cheap PCI sound card to see if that fixes it then if it does at least you will have isolated the cause down to the onboard audio.

Tinkey Winkey 21:55 07 Nov 2005

Only the Case's Front Panel Audio is wired to my motherboard - sound should work regardless of this wiring.

My speakers are connected to the green audio ( Line Out )socket on the motherboard.

GaT7 21:59 07 Nov 2005

Could be a problem with the line out socket. Do you have a PCI soundcard that you could try? G

bruno 22:19 07 Nov 2005

Try a set of headphones if you have them.This will eliminate any fault on the speakers or wiring to them.

DieSse 23:27 07 Nov 2005

"Only the Case's Front Panel Audio is wired to my motherboard - sound should work regardless of this wiring"

If you have the type of front panel where each audio channel has a feed and return wire, then a faulty front socket can interrupt the sound to the rear sockets.

As suggested, the way to prove this is to return the motherboard to it's normal (ie front panel unwired state) and see if you get both channels then.

Or you may simply have put the front panel wires in the wrong places. It's very easy to do this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017