Sorting files and folders in Windows Explorer

rakkjen 13:31 01 Jul 2009

I want to be able to sort files and folders 'together' in Windows Explorer, so that when I sort the content of a folder all items are sorted (for instance) alphabetically - not folders first, followed by files.

Hope someone understands me, and are able to help.

T0SH 14:27 01 Jul 2009

Each time you click on the column "Name" header to sort alphabetically it will toggle between folders/files at the top

Cheers HC

Technotiger 14:28 01 Jul 2009

Folders First, and then Files is the normal order of things.

You can go to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options and make your own choices, after which you can click on Apply to All Folders under the View tab. This should keep all your files in whatever order you set.

rakkjen 14:56 01 Jul 2009

Thanks.

TOSH: I want the folders and files mixed, and sorted together (e.g. alphabetically).

Techotiger: Been there but can't find an option that serves my wishes..

Technotiger 15:24 01 Jul 2009

I don't think what you want is possible - though I am prepared to be proved wrong.

As I said earlier, Folders first, then Files in that order, within Windows.

woodchip 15:36 01 Jul 2009

you cannot put files before folders and naming says how they are listed in the order, including using numbers

woodchip 15:38 01 Jul 2009

you are correct, they cannot be changed other than how you name them. folders will always come first in the left column files never get in the, only in folder. in dos days they was called directories not folder

gazzaho 15:42 01 Jul 2009

I've used windows a long time, from the begining actually, and I've never been happy with how it decides to sort things, I say "how it decides" because it gives you no real choice in the matter, even when you set folders the way you want you can bet the next time you open one it's not set as you left it. For instance if you want a set of folders to run from 1 to 10 you have to number them 01 to 10 otherwise it will display 10 before 1 in the list.

As the other posters have said floders then files in that order.

rakkjen 21:56 02 Jul 2009

I have no clue what goes on inside a computer, but frustrating that such seemingly simple things are not possible.

thanks for your input anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?