sorry i know this site is for computers but

alan9900 08:46 22 Apr 2007

my son had two mechanics look at his car said it was o.k. to drive, when he did it caught fire and is know a burnt out reck, lucky he got out alive and the whole family is in shock. Can any body point me in the right direction to get information as to what,if any action i can take against these so called mechanics, is there a online citizens advice ? any help would be much appreciated.

Technotiger 08:52 22 Apr 2007
  p;3 08:55 22 Apr 2007

very sorry to hear of your missfortune click here this is a link to C.A.B.

one might ask from where the 'mechanics' came and who 'recommended' them?

you may wish to get in touch with the car insurers too assuming you have not already done so?do you know what caused this incident?

eedcam 09:14 22 Apr 2007

You would be better off getting in touch with your local Trading Standards Office .If these guys were cowboys although you may not benifit you may stop it happening to someone else , who may not be as lucky as your lad

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:23 22 Apr 2007

It depends on what you mean by 'look at his car said it was o.k. to drive'. Fires can be caused by many things but someone 'just looking at a car' would not be the cause. He has no chance at all of gaining any recompense unless it could be proved that the mechanics had caused the fire by negligence. It is your sons' responsibility to prove negligence and this would be costly. The only winners would be the lawyers. get your son to call his insurers and put it down to experience.

G

birdface 09:41 22 Apr 2007

I put this to I dont know.If you put your car into a garage for an M.O.T and when driving you get charged by the police for driving with a Faulty tyre,You get the fine and penalty points,You will be told it is still your responsability to make sure the car is in a fit state to take on the road,Whether you could then take the garage to court for compensation I would not know,Now if the mechanics said it should be safe to take on the road,There is a difference to the car is safe to take on the road,Now an example,I was driving down a main road doing 60mph,A Forklift pulled out of a lane in front of me,And I smashed into the back of it,And because i smashed into the back of it,my insurance said it was my fault,The Police said it was not my fault,But I loose all my no claims bonus,there is no justice out there sometimes.If you start argueing about who's fault it was,The insurance may not pay out,I would imagine no mechanic could be a 100% sure that nothing is wrong with a car,I would put it down to accidental and claim the insurance as sutch.

p;3 12:02 22 Apr 2007

are you able/willing to tell us a bit more about what happened and how ?

Stuartli 12:34 22 Apr 2007

>>If you put your car into a garage for an M.O.T and when driving you get charged by the police for driving with a Faulty tyre,You get the fine and penalty points,>>

It would depend on how many miles had been covered using the tyre after the MOT - an MOT, in fact, is really only an indication that, on a particular day, a car was roadworthy.

If you then use, for instance, the spare tyre next day and it's not legal then it's your own fault.

(Yes, I am aware that the spare tyre doesn't come under MOT juristiction).

I think what alan9900 means by "two mechanics have a look at his car" is not meant literally, but figuratively.

If they inspected the vehicle thoroughly and found no apparent cause for concern, then it could well be difficult to prove neglect.

wotbus@ 12:47 22 Apr 2007

"(Yes, I am aware that the spare tyre doesn't come under MOT juristiction)."

When I lived in UK, a while back, the spare did come under MoT control. It was not, and I don't think still is, obligatory to fit a spare to any vehicle but if one was fitted the day of the MoT it had to be serviceable. If it was not serviceable but in the owners opinion it was marginal but sufficient for a "get me to a garage" situation, then it was removed for the purpose of the vehicle MoT.
This may have changed of course but is worth thinking about if you have a similar situation. Maybe there is a site to find out the exact requirements, somewhere on the DoT.

wotbus@ 12:52 22 Apr 2007

Just did a bit for surfing out of interest, click here
and it looks like the spare is indeed except.

Stuartli 13:35 22 Apr 2007

See:

click here

The only reason that an MOT tester examines the boot area is not with regard to the spare tyre, but to check whether there is any structural or accident damage that could affect the vehicle's structure safety.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?