Sorry, another "what do you think of this Laptop"

Wkd Intent 17:59 09 Jan 2006

Basically im looking for a good all round laptop that will be good at handleing Vista when it arrives (if ever). Ive seen this one and wondered what people thought.

click here

As a second note, the RAM is 512 DDR1, could I buy a second 512 DDR2 SDRAM and have it installed with any incompatibility problems.

Any opinions comment appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 18:20 09 Jan 2006

DDR2 has different number of pins I believe (240 as oppossed to 180) so that won't work.

The link you posted won't open for me - is it PCWorld Business?

Wkd Intent 18:31 09 Jan 2006

Sorry, their site's shut down for some reason. heres the same item. click here

ade.h 18:33 09 Jan 2006

The link is faulty for some reason, and Dio is right about DDR2 and DDR1.

DDR2 is certinly preferable in a laptop because it runs at a lower voltage and that means a bit less power consumption.

As for Vista, given that MS's notorisously understated minimum spec is a 3ghz CPU and 512MB of RAM, plus a very good graphics chip if you intend to make use of the more sophisticated appearance options, I don't think it's feasible for very many current laptops.

To match the 3ghz minimum, you would probably need at least a 760 (which is 2.13ghz) and that is currently top of the range. MS's statement of 512MB can probably be read as 1GB.

ade.h 18:38 09 Jan 2006

Okay, that's better. That model is not dissimilar to my HP which has a 740 (1.86ghz) and is near the top of the nx8220 range. Its performance would be very similar to your Turion model, maybe a tiny bit quicker, but I would not entertain putting Vista on it in twelve months time. Right now, with XP Pro, the performance is excellent; I can move from my P4 640 desktop and not feel too big a difference, like I've stepped back in time!

ade.h 18:40 09 Jan 2006

And for ref, my nx8220 uses DDR2, which with the Pentium M, does give superb battery life at around 3.5 hrs in every day use. The Turions are a little bit less efficient that the Pentium Ms, like for like.

ade.h 18:47 09 Jan 2006

I've read through the spec sheet for your choice, and one big caveat laps out at me.

The shared video memory. 128MB of system RAM that you'll never see. This makes a RAM upgrade all the more imperative with XP, never mind Vista! It's a bit of a false economy when looked at closely, so I much prefer a grahpics chip with dedicated RAM, especially if it's the laptop version of PCI Express.

ade.h 18:49 09 Jan 2006

With the full 512MB, XP would run happily in most cases. I have not yet upgraded mine.

Wkd Intent 18:51 09 Jan 2006

Thanks for that, well im looking for a uni laptop so plenty of time yet. But cheers your help.

Mavericke 12:41 10 Jan 2006

For that notebook,I think it's better to get a 17" from Gateway. i bought one from Staples and it cost me £899. The model of the laptop is Gateway MX8554b. You can get it from here:click here

Personally for the price I think an Acer 1694WLMi is much better.Go to Comet and you will see that it is priced at £699 and comes with ATI Mobility Radeon X700 with 64MB memory.

jules52 13:37 10 Jan 2006

I hate to put a damper on your choice of laptop but I can only advise you of my recent dealings with HP. I have a 27 month old laptop that has blown a screen inverter. As their warranty period is a mere 12 months they were not prepared to help in any way other than to offer me a repair costing £455. Quite ridiculous when I can now buy a higher spec machine from Dell for £399.00. I also have a Dell laptop complete with 3 years warranty as standard and in my opinion is a far superior product to HP. The phrase of "having faith in ones product" comes to mind. Incidentally I am having the HP repaired locally for £88 inc VAT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?