Sophos and McAfee

Markaps 15:13 06 Mar 2006

Hello everyone

I would like to know the opinions of folks who have used both McAfee and Sophos AV products in a small business environment.

I am interested in hearing about their ease of use, manageability and reliability. Is the centralised management software easy to use? I am also interested in the real-world overhead these products impose on the PC's.

I am currently using Symantec Client Security 3 and am not very happy it - machines disappear off the list (or never show up at all), log files cannot be retrieved, incorrect details about the virus definitions are displayed... Finally, although 256MB RAM is recommended for client installations - unless a client has 512MB RAM, the software cripples it.

So, there are some of my gripes with my existing software - can anyone recommend Sophos over McAfee or vice versa? Or has anyone had similar experiences with Sophos/McAfee?

My setup is as follows:
Dell PE file server single Win2K3 Active Directory domain. 30 PC's on the network (CAT5 100mb) connected via hub/switch. PC's run Win XP Pro SP2, 3 Win2k Pro.

I look forward to reading your responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?