Sony Viao Display Issue

mEmo99 17:51 13 Feb 2007

The battery went flat on my laptop while i was working and now i keep getting the error below. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the display adaptor but i still get the error and can only boot up in safe mode.

"COMPUTER RESTARTED AFTER UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN, THE DRIVER FOR THE DISPLAY DEVICE WAS UNABLE TO COMPLETE A DRAWING OPERATION:
DISPLAY DRIVER FOR ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 SEEMS TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SYSTEM INSTABILITY"

I've spoken with VAIO support and they can only recommend i rebuild the laptop with the original restore disks. I'd rather try a few other things before this as i have some applications that i don't have the install disks for.
I have updated the BIOS and used the latest drivers that VAIO made available on their website, but it hasn't solved the problem...

Can anyone help me?

Ho-Lin-Sok 20:57 13 Feb 2007

Can you do something with this
click here

Ho-Lin-Sok 21:01 13 Feb 2007

Drivers here
click here

SANTOS7 21:05 13 Feb 2007

Go into your BIOS, go to video device, the options will say something like, AGP, PCI, and onboard (and sometimes AGP/Onboard). just select the type of video card you have installed. Then when you get into windows, click start > right click my computer> properties > hardware > device manager, and make sure that you disable all of the display devices EXCEPT the one you have installed.

mEmo99 17:10 16 Feb 2007

Thanks for those tips.

I'm now getting an error literally blink up which i've had to take a photo of to be able to read:

STOP: C0000415 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR
BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY
PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR ADMINISTRATOR FOR ASSISTANCE"

I don't think i can avoid rebuilding the laptop, unless anyone can advise me otherwise???

Any help would be much appreciated...

Ho-Lin-Sok 17:24 16 Feb 2007

Try doing a Google as it appears it may be an AGP driver issue, one link that if it works would be easy
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?