Sony VAIO vpcea1s1e laptop - stuck in boot loop.

Pj17 22:59 05 May 2017

I have an old sony VAIO laptop which hasn't been used for a while. When I turned it on the 'VAIO' logo flashes on the screen and then the laptop switches itself off and the whole thing starts again in a continuous loop. The f8 or f10 keys do nothing but the f2 goes into the bios. I have also removed the hard drive and ram then put them back in but nothing has changed. I'm not very PC knowledgeable at all so any advice would be a great help. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:22 06 May 2017

boot to bios and check boot options see if HDD is set as first boot device.

Maybe you could make a bootable USB with either linux or a windows ISo on to try and boot from that.

Pj17 18:20 06 May 2017

Hi fruit bat,

Should the HDD be set as the first boot device then, and if it is already, is there anything else I can try to fix it?

I wouldn't have a clue how to do a bootable USB with windows iso or Linux.

Thanks for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 06 May 2017

Normaly it should be.

but if it has a setting for Legacy boot select that , then set the USB or DVD as first boot device.

what version of windows does it have ?

Pj17 10:30 07 May 2017

Hi, I can't see a legacy boot. It had an internal optical disc drive, an internal hard disk drive, and a external device. I've put the internal hard disk drive as 1st boot priority now.

It runs window 7 I think. I've noticed the fan gets quite hot as well. Any thing else I can try?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:41 07 May 2017

Try

remove battery - remove power lead - press and hold power button for thirty seconds - refit power lead and retry to boot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 07 May 2017

Try

remove battery - remove power lead - press and hold power button for thirty seconds - refit power lead and retry to boot.

Pj17 19:52 07 May 2017

Hi, I tried what you said but its still not helped. Its still continuing to flash the VAIO sign, then goes blank and i can hear it repowering itself to do the same thing over and over again.

Thanks for trying to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires