Sony VAIO shuts down then restarts

AP22 21:22 18 Jul 2010

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN SZ1XP. I recently removed Windows 7 from it and restored the original XP. Now, whenever I shut down the laptop it shuts down as per normal then, after a few seconds, reboots into a normal start up. The only way to turn the machine off completely is to hold down the on/off button.

I have tried in Safe Mode; I have switched off the restart on failure setting; I've tried disconnecting from my home network but nothing seems tio work. Any ideas please?

northumbria61 21:35 18 Jul 2010

There could be a number of reasons for this, but the main one seems to be that ACPI is not enabled on the computer or in Windows XP:

Click Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Power Options tab.
Then click APM - Enable Advanced Power Management Support.

If you don't see a 'Performance and Maintenance' option in Control Panel, you've obviously switched Control Panel to 'Classic View'. In the taskpane at left of the Window, select "Use Category View" and the Control panel Menu System will reappear, giving you the 'Performance and Maintenance' option.

AP22 21:48 18 Jul 2010

Thank you northumbria61. (Incidentally, a different machine to the one I am having the virus problem on).

I have checked the APM and the Vaio Advanced Power Management is on.

northumbria61 22:07 18 Jul 2010

Similar - you are not alone !!
click here

AP22 22:11 18 Jul 2010

Thanks northumbria 61. Reassuring to know it's common. I have found many many other exmples. Sadly, none seem to come up with a solution! Thanks for trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?