Sony Vaio Screen Issues

MTFlanders 12:07 17 Aug 2010

I have an FE series Sony Vaio that is about three and a half years old.

This weekend the screen went completely blank while I was using it. The machine seemed to be working as I still had sound etc, but the screen was completely dead. I restarted the machine by holding down the power button and it worked fine for a short while before doing it again.

This time when I tried to restart I would get blue or yellow lines across the screen as the machine loaded (at the point where the vaio graphic comes up and the Windows XP loading screen). Then, at the point at which the login screen would appear the screen would again go blank.

Every now and again the machine loads normally but it is only a matter of time before the screen goes blank again.

It has been suggested that it might be the inverter, but after the screen goes blank I can't get it to work on an external monitor, which I understand it should do if it's just a screen issue.

I've checked the connections to the screen and inverter and they seem fine.

I've also run virus scans etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Taff™ 13:03 17 Aug 2010

To switch to the external monitor you need to press the Fn Key and one of the F keys which will have a symbol on it that perhaps looks like a pair of rectangles, one filled in one blank. (F4 perhaps?)

This key combination acta as a toggle between displays so try it, release the keys and wait for a few seconds.

MTFlanders 13:06 17 Aug 2010

@Taff,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried that and it didn't work on either an external monitor or TV.

Woolwell 13:09 17 Aug 2010

There are better ones than me on this forum who will reply shortly but is your laptop overheating? When was it last cleaned?

MTFlanders 13:14 17 Aug 2010

@woolwell,

Can't say I've ever given it a spring clean beyond wiping the screen and keyboard.

Not sure about overheating, but it was left all day while I was at work yesterday and it still had the problem when I first turned it on. Took a number of tries to get it working. When I did it was going for about 3 hours before the screen went again.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?