Sony VAIO Quick Restore Problem

novis 16:46 06 Dec 2006

I have a Sony Vaio and run MS Windows XP Home Edition.

The Quick Restore disk which came with the machine states in three places that this will only remove files on Drive C.

There was no option to indicate that I wanted it to apply only to Drive C.

I continued with the process but have lost the files on Drive D.

a) Are they recoverable?

b) What redress do I have with Sony for the misleading information on their software in the event that I am not able to recover the files?

Technotiger 16:52 06 Dec 2006

Hi, you could have a look here ...

click here

Good luck.

novis 17:00 06 Dec 2006

Thanks for the suggestion. I have Recovery Software but am not sufficiently technically minded to know how to use it.

What I need to know is whether the files on Drive D have been deleted.

This is Sony's responsibility - I want info at this point to know where I stand with getting Sony to resolve it.

Technotiger 17:09 06 Dec 2006

Hmmm, can't really comment on Sony etc - but even if the files were deleted they should still be recoverable.

Usually with recovery software, it is just a matter of selecting the drive, and clicking on Start or similar, having first selected where you want the recovered files to be recovered to; although I have only ever done this to recover deleted photo's from a removable drive.

novis 17:12 06 Dec 2006

Anyone have a second opinion?

I need to know where I stand before I go ater Sony.

novis 17:50 06 Dec 2006

I've tried running Iolo Search and recover on D drive - it gives a list of files that I don't recognise and it isn't clear [unless one is computer literate] what to do,having found them.

rawprawn 20:04 06 Dec 2006

click here is the simplest and one of the best I know. I agree with Technotiger you should be able to recover the files. Using Restoration just set it to your D: tick both boxes (Include Clusters and Include zero files) and away you go. Highlight any file you want to undelete and save it to your C:

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:50 06 Dec 2006

I think that the D drive is not a primary partition but a logical drive. I don't know enough about such things to make a diagnosis, but could this have caused your problem and would converting drive D to a primary partition prevent it occuring again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?