Sony Vaio desktop - how to ouput video

Murghalador 16:06 22 Sep 2006

Hello

I have a Sony Vaio desktop model PCV-V1/G. I want to output video games from it to my Sony Bravia TV.
The Vaio has video input jacks only - is there some software I can purchase to enable me to output from it?

Thanks

David

silverous 16:18 22 Sep 2006

Few options:

i) Does your Bravia have a PC-in ? Many LCD tvs are effectively monitors also.

ii) You might need a "TV Out" - some graphics cards (I thought most) these days have them

iii) If your Vaio outputs DVI and your Bravia has HDMI input (I suspect it will have) then you should be able to use DVI to HDMI.

Also worth asking on click here if you don't get a response here.

Murghalador 09:52 25 Sep 2006

Thanks for the reply.
My Vaio doesn't have any TV out or video out connections. Is there any hardware that will fit the Vaio and enable me to output TV/video, something like an expansion card?

thanks

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:17 25 Sep 2006

You have a type 2 PC slot available but I have no knowledge of any device that you would require in that format, however someone else mighthave.

silverous 10:56 25 Sep 2006

Murghalador, you don't seem to have responded to my options i) or iii).

Murghalador 15:31 25 Sep 2006

Hi

Here is a list of the available ports on my Vaio desktop.

4 x hi-speed USB ports. PC card slot (type 2) Line in port, microphone port, headphones port, 4-pin i.LINK port, infrared receiver, modem port, Ethernet network port, video-in, S-vidoe-in, left audio-in, right audio-in, VHF/UHF arial connection.

The problem for me is that I cannot get an ouput from the Vaio. The Bravia TV is ok as it has all the inputs I require.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 25 Sep 2006

Your Vaio does not have the required outputs to connect it to a TV.

Why do you want to connect to TV? most TV pictures are poorer than a monitor.

To connect to TV you will need to purchase a new video card with s-video or TV out connection.

johnnyrocker 23:16 25 Sep 2006

not forgetting audio out which s video out will not give you.

johnny.

silverous 08:36 26 Sep 2006

"Most TV pictures ar epoorer than a monitor"

Really depends what he's trying to achieve... if he wants a bigger screen to watch TV on it would, if it were possible, be fine for that and save trying to buy a 32" monitor.

Murghalador

I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't appear possible to do this. Your video connections are all "in". I hadn't imagined a recent PC not having either TV out or a VGA port to connect from but having reviewed the manual for your model it appears to be the case. A forum post when searching via google also revealed a comment that a someone was surprised it had no TV-Out capability.

Seems an odd thing for a media centre type box but it is designed to be a compact all-in-one box not a general purpose PC/Media Centre it seems.

Murghalador 09:48 26 Sep 2006

Thanks guys - you have confirmed my worst fears!
I will have to buy a laptop, with video/TV output, to use with my Bravia TV.

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:30 26 Sep 2006

Why not get an Xbox 360 or wait for a PS3?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache