sony vaio black screen

jungletrekker69 12:36 09 Dec 2010

Whenever I switch on my Sony Vaio VGN A517S... the Vaio image flickers before the screen blackout and yet - I can hear windows XP running complete with Avast announcing an update has been made as well as Skype is up and running.
Ive used an external monitor and the same thing happened - is it teh LCD screen thats the problem? Or the inverter? Or the Nvidia graphics ?
Anyone can help me please?????

johndrew 14:10 09 Dec 2010

There are many posts on this type of problem with Sony Vaio laptops. Solutions vary from removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, to removing the main battery, to swapping memory modules and other solutions - some worked some failed.

I suggest the first thing to do is connect the laptop to an external monitor and see if you get graphics. If so it may be the screen has failed but a visit to your nearest repairer is likely to be your best bet. Unless others more knowledgeable than I am can come up with better ideas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 09 Dec 2010

If same thing is happening with external monitor the sounds like graphics drivers or graphics chip.

Try booting in safe mode, is the screen ok then? if so reinstall graphics drivers.

keef66 15:06 10 Dec 2010

Did you connect the external monitor after booting it up or before?

jungletrekker69 08:11 13 Dec 2010

I connected the external screen before rebooting it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017