sony RDR-HXD870B wont download EPG from Sky box

graham006 17:04 26 Dec 2007

Despite following the manufacture's instructions to leave the Sky box on and the DVD/HDD recorder on standby the DVD/HDD recorder will not down load the EPG information from the Sky box even after several days. This seems to be a common problem with these units when connected via a sky box but I cannot find a solution which works. This renders the unit useles for all practical purposes. Can anyone advise a solution or should I ask for my money back and try another DVD/HDD manufacturer?

MCE2K5 17:43 26 Dec 2007

"Despite following the manufacture's instructions":
You are onto a looser with this one.

1: "Sky Box EPG information (EPG Guide)" can only be Downloaded to A Sky Box.

2: "Freeview EPG information (EPG Guide)" can only be Downloaded to the DVD/HDD recorder, If it has a Freeview tuner built in.

Sky EPG & Freeview EPG cannot be Downloaded into a Single Box.

graham006 18:59 26 Dec 2007

MCE2K5. Thanks. The Sony RDR-HXD870B uses Guide Plus+ which seems to be independant of both the Freeview and Sky EPG systems, apparently using a download via a host channel. Details are on click here so I'm not sure if you have understood my problem. The problem is somehow with the connection via the sky box which seems not to permit any download.

esbe 01:46 27 Dec 2007

This might help, as your 870 may need the latest update --

click here

click here

cheers.

graham006 15:26 27 Dec 2007

Thanks esbe. Recorder Firmware is 1.62. So this could be the problem. In Sony download instructions it says: " Burn the update file onto a new blank CD-R disc using disc-at-once mode and ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system format." Is this just jargon for normal burning format such as Nero?

esbe 00:30 28 Dec 2007

Open Nero burning ROM > New Compilation, there is an option to use 'CD-ROM(ISO)'- that should be ok to use.

Have a good read in through the AVForums Link, as I think it's answered there..
Have fun.

cheers.

graham006 15:21 30 Dec 2007

Firmware update sucessful but problem persists. I am now of the opinion that it cannot dowload the EPG via Guide Plus as this uses a Sky channel (Euro sport) which is only available on subscription. As I have Freesat from Sky (i.e. no subscription) and as I have neither Freeview nor analogue terrestrial ITV it seems i have bought a pig in a poke. What is more I can only record a programme to which the Sky box is tuned so thats a bit restricting. It looks as though the Sony will be going back as it does not live up to its promise. Any suggestions for a solution using Freesat only for watching and recording seperate channels?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone