Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A DVD r/writer won't work.

RWest 14:08 13 Dec 2007

My newish PC from Cube [don't buy there] has another problem; it has a DVD reader/writer which will read CDs, but not write DVDs, though it reads them, sort of.

The software says it's an AD-7170A, but the unit doesn't look like the one on Sony etc's website - it has no LED and no central eject button. So it may not be one of these.

The Windows hardware info says it's working correctly. While the other drive has an ATAPI driver, and works OK, I can find no driver for this drive.

It looks as though I should instal or reinastal a driver, and/or decoder, but Sony's site warns these drives can be irreparably damaged by the wrong driver.

Anyone know what I should do? Especially as I can't be sure what the drive is - it's installed in the uppermost slot and I can see nothing anywhere identifying it.

Judging by Internet others have had a similar problem.

Gongoozler 14:26 13 Dec 2007

Hi RWest. From what you have been experiencing and the problems you have found others have been experiencing, I think the easiest thing for you to do is to replace the drive. This is very easy to do, and not very expensive. Look at the drives here click here the price for a bare drive is about £15 plus postage. I find the customer reviews a good guide, and I know they are genuine - I've written a few myself. I have used LG, Pioneer and LiteOn, and not had a problem with any of them.

RWest 16:23 13 Dec 2007

Thanks, gongoozler.

To my amazement I found the thing does work - I downloaded CD Burner XP, latest version, as someone recommended in PC Advisor. This isn't quite as intuitive as people say - you move files into bottom right quadrant and click 'burn'. I couldn't believe it when it went through the motions without an error message.

The resulting DVD shows up on windows as containing the files I wanted there; and it plays with such software as IrfanView, which now has a video and sound option. (These are Flash files I have).

However my ASUS 'Power Cinema', Windows XP Media Center, and Windows Media Player all fail to even know the DVD is there. I have to ocnclude it's partly a format problem, but also mainly to do with security - I'm not interested in copying DVDs, since I regard Hollywood as total sh*t, but presumably the manufacturers have to watch out for this.

Thanks for your comment and I'm grateful - though even more grateful I don't apparently need to bother.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017