Sony Laptop/tiscali problems.

Tyke44 14:51 26 Jul 2006

I have been on Tiscali broadband on my main PC's for about 2years with few problems other than adsl drop outs after stormy weather (I disconnect during the thunderstorms)
I have recently installed Tiscali Broadband to my Sony Laptop and cannot get the adsl connection.
NOTE. I use exactly the same line and set up in the same location as my Desktop PC's and have tried both the Sagem & Speed touch modems which both work Ok on the desktops.
Basically I unplug the modem from the USB port on the desktop and plug it directly into a USB port on the Laptop (adsl line remains in the modem) It works fine in the former but not in the latter.... No bus power issues

Stuartli 14:56 26 Jul 2006

Have you installed the drivers for the laptop in the same way as for the desktop i.e. connect/disconnect the modem as requested?

I used to use my mate's laptop with my former Tiscali BB service and it worked just as with the desktop. All I had to do was swap over the USB cable.

You can get the latest Sagem modem drivers from:

click here

(W. 3.0.4b) Select Tiscali from the list when you install the new drivers.

Tyke44 15:24 26 Jul 2006

Hi Stuartli.
Yes I installed as per the instructions and uninstalled before each re-instal. I have just downloaded the Sagem drivers and will try that shortly.
It has me baffled, Sony haven't responded yet so I will leave any drastic measures until after I see what they have to say.

Phil.

Tyke44 12:54 27 Jul 2006

Not surprisingly I have yet to get a response from Sony Support.
I have carried out a full recovery of my laptop and a total re-install but still this problem persists...... could it be a power issue with the usb ports does anyone think.

Stuartli 13:02 27 Jul 2006

Could be - try a powered USB hub.

However, my mate's laptop is a modest Dell 600MHz or so Pentium model (one USB port) in today's terms and managed OK.

Tyke44 14:50 27 Jul 2006

I've arranged to borrow a mate's powered hub so we'll see if that makes a difference. I'm not too optimistic as the laptop usb ports power everything else OK, including a bus powered ext HDD which I would have thought was hungrier than a BB modem. Perhaps one day soon(ish) Sony may throw in their two pennyworth.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?