Sony Handicam with Vista

brindly 17:10 04 Sep 2008

I have a Sony handicam DCR-HC18E with USB Driver but only for Windows XP. I have contacted Sony and they don't seem to able to help because the suggestion they gave meant it would only work if my Laptop had an iLink port which it doesn't. Any suggestion so I can use my Handicam with Vista. So annoying this is the third camera Iown that doesn't work with Vista without a lot of messing about. Just shows how much they care about the consumer. Drivers and software always used to be backward compatable.

Technotiger 17:26 04 Sep 2008

You need this then click here

Woolwell 17:32 04 Sep 2008

Drivers and software were often backwards compatible but not for newer systems (forwards). The same sort of problems arose when moving from 98 to XP.

ilink is Firewire or IEEE1394. Many laptops have this port. If yours does not then you can get a Firewire PCMCIA adaptor quite cheaply which will work with Vista.

Woolwell 17:33 04 Sep 2008

Technotiger provided a link while I was writing. But there are others out there and quick search will turn them up.

brindly 22:48 04 Sep 2008

Thanks for that Woolwell, just one thing is this an external or will I have to have it fitted?

Woolwell 22:54 04 Sep 2008

Should slot into your PCMCIA slot which your laptop should have - you may need to check this. You don't need to have it fitted.

Woolwell 22:56 04 Sep 2008

You will need an ilink cable better known as a firewire cable but make sure that the ends are the correct size for your camera as there are different cables.

Technotiger 23:11 04 Sep 2008

The item in my link above includes the cable which will fit your camera. The 'card' simply slots into your laptops PCMCIA slot.

Technotiger 23:12 04 Sep 2008

I also have the Sony MiniDV Camcorder.

brindly 07:30 05 Sep 2008

Thank guys, i will check to see if my laptop has the PCMCIA slot, if not i think i will just give it a miss and buy extra tapes and wait until I get back from holiday and do the editing on my desk top. I already have the iLink cable. Thanks again for you interst.

Technotiger 07:49 05 Sep 2008

What is the make/model of your laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?