Sony DRU-510A install problem - not reading DVD

Shappy 22:44 13 Nov 2003

I've had problems getting a new Sony DRU-510A DVD all-format DVD drive to read files on its own install DVD. The BIOS recognises the drive and Explorer lists the drive and files on the DVD, but the splash.exe file will not load (get a Windows box with ??????? in it).

It's a replacement for a DVD read-only drive, so it's the Master drive on my secondary IDE channel, on an Athlon XP1800+ machine running XP Home.

Bizarre thing is that it installs fine in my old Pentium 166 PC running Windows 98.

Tried the Sony technical support who can now only suggest I update my chipset which I believe I've already done, and to contact the motherboard supplier.

I'm now really stuck and have a £200 drive which I can't use on my new faster machine, with large drives, for video-editing and DVD creation.

Please - any further ideas ??

Jester2K II 22:54 13 Nov 2003

By coincidence i installed one of these this morning!! Comes with a Silver front and a Black front too?? :-)) very nice!!

Not on my PC though :-(((

The splash.exe is a Flash file.

Try going here and updating Flash first. click here This page will install Flash for you. Try again.

Secondly you don't actually need to use the splash.exe. It just a front end. Cancel the splash.exe and navigate through the CD to install the software you need manually. You'll need to make educated guesses though!!

Post back if any problems.

Jester2K II 22:55 13 Nov 2003

Also update Shockwave in case its that. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone