SONY DDU 1615 DVD-ROM won't recognise blank CD-Rs

the_face 17:09 05 Jan 2009

I've just bought a brand new PC, running Windows XP with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor, 3.25GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive.

The DVD-ROM is a SONY DDU1615 and the cd writing software is Nero 7.

Upon inserting blank discs (I have tried many, including DVDs), the drive does not recognise them.

I desperately need to get this fixed, as I have to burn some mp3 work for a job application.

I would really appreciate your help.

howard64 17:14 05 Jan 2009

try right clicking on my computer - properties - hardware - device manager then click on the + sign for dvd/cd-rom drives then right click on the sony drive properties and uninstall the drive. Reboot and xp should see the drive and reinstall it - with luck it should then work. If not you may have to go into nero and search for the drive to get it recognised.

Stuartli 17:26 05 Jan 2009

As you have rightly stated it is a ROM drive, so it naturally won't recognise blank disks..:-)

You won't be able to burn disks on it either - you need a DVD rewriter (which will write to both CDs and DVDs).

I use a DVD-ROM drive for listening to audio disks, watching DVDs and installing software - my DVD rewriter is used solely for burning purposes as they are less robust than their ROM equivalents.

Stuartli 17:29 05 Jan 2009

See:

click here

Optical drives of all types are as cheap as chips these days.

A top brand DVD rewriter will set you back less than £20 - I paid £189 for a CD rewriter about seven years ago....:-)

Stuartli 17:31 05 Jan 2009

Was a rewriter listed in your new PC's specifications, particularly in view of the fact you have a copy of Nero?

DieSse 17:34 05 Jan 2009

Quite honestly I am amazed that you have been sold a new PC with only a ROM drive fitted.

Was the Nero sold or installed on the system? If it was then it was pointless - and makes me wonder if you've been mis-sold or if a mistake has been made.

howard64 17:37 05 Jan 2009

it does appear that the SONY DDU1615 is just a dvd/cd reader not a writer.

the_face 17:54 05 Jan 2009

Bloomin' 'eck. I can't believe it. I told them I wanted a CD writer.

My spec even says the following:

DUAL LAYER LIGHTSCRIBE DVD RE WRITER.

Thanks for this. I'm gonna have to get the drive swapped. Sorry to have posted something so obvious!

Stuartli 18:03 05 Jan 2009

>>it does appear that the SONY DDU1615 is just a dvd/cd reader not a writer.>>

It IS (rather than appear to be) a DVD-ROM drive, as my earlier link indicates.

Stuartli 18:05 05 Jan 2009

the_face

I would thoroughly check out that the rest of the specification is exactly as agreed - if a ROM drive can be mistaken for a rewriter.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone