Son's email address hijacked?

dusters 14:06 22 Aug 2009

Hi,
Last night I received an email purporting to be from my son. It clearly wasn't as it started 'long time no contact'! The grammar was poor and the email included two links which it suggested I click on. Of course I didn't, I phoned him and he confirmed he hadn't sent it. The email was also sent to all his other contacts.
My son says he can see the email in his sent items and that he also got a lot of unable to deliver email messages. This really worries me. We have both scanned our computers and found nothing untoward, but how can this have happened and should we be concerned?
My security software has real time email scanning and allowed it through, although clearly some of the other recipients computers blocked it.
Please can anyone advise if our computers could be infected and what we should do? I would be so grateful.

mrwoowoo 14:11 22 Aug 2009

Does he share a room or house with someone who can access his PC.
First i would change my e-mail log on password then scan with Malware bytes(free)click here
If it finds something nasty then change your password again after cleaning the infection.
What anti virus/anti spyware does he use?

dusters 19:51 22 Aug 2009

Thanks for responding mrwoowoo. He does not share with anyone, he uses AVG & I use F-Secure. I have downloaded Malwarebytes & run a scan on my computer & my son is going to do the same, as well as changing his email password. The scan found 2 'Trojan BHOs' (Browser Helper Objects?) and 2 problems with security certificates. I don't know if they are connected to the spoof email.

mrwoowoo 21:17 22 Aug 2009

Trojans can cause what he is experiencing.Infact it's odds on.
See how it goes after their removal.
It could also be someone on his mailing list that is infected,thus infecting him with e-mail attachments etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017