Son's BSoD...can you advise?

hatrickj 23:14 13 Sep 2007

After house move he has been setting up his system and modem internet connection. Amongst other things he had cause to edit the settings in his modem to those required by his ISP. (Presumably the modem's defaults were not the same). After setting up the modem he got the BSoD with fault message "bad pool header. What does that mean? He tells me that his machine ( Dell) has only the modem (Zoom 5110B), keyboard, and bluetooth mouse connected. Have you any hints for correcting problem, or why it has happened?

Any help will be appreciated by him, but response from him may not be prompt as he is communicating bia me. Thank you

Ashrich 23:47 13 Sep 2007

Almost certainly a driver problem , try updating the Zoom drivers , was anything else loaded before this happened ? Service pack 2 maybe ....

Ashley

hatrickj 06:47 14 Sep 2007

As it is a very new computer, under 1 yo I;d have thought SP2 would have been on it anyhow. I believe mouse was installed first before the modem. As to drivers, the original disk had been lost during move, so drivers were downloaded from the Zoom site, from the location given by the Zoom support.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:48 14 Sep 2007

Driver writers implemented Pool_Header validation checking in SP2, so when corruption occurs, or is detected, the system automatically crashed and returns Bad_Pool_Header.

There are way to many reasons for this...could either be:

RAM
-Application is requesting too much memory in IRQL
-Attempting to clean a clean memory pool
-Allocate memory pool that does not exist
-Allocate zero byte memory pool

Windows
-If installing a faulty device driver
-upgrading versions with incompatible drivers

Hardware
-Bad Ram
-Clogged CPU fan
-Not enough power from power supply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?