Sometimes my PC just won't start

plsndrs3 16:59 01 Sep 2004

emachine 3220 2.8 processor 80GB HDD all as supplied [no upgrades]. Running XP home & connecting via Cell Pipe BB modem, routed through a Belkin router to a laptop.

After making sure no activity for a few minutes I have to depress start button [several times] disconnect/reconnect power supply [a few times] then it just seems to boot on it's own. The only thing that is happening when the system is 'dead' is that the CDRW light blinks about once a second. [Using Nero 5.5 on this, if that helps]. Norton cannot see anything wrong, Spybot, AVG all up to date & clear. Registry clear and I guess windows is OK or else it would never boot.

Sygate is my 'new' firewall - I had the problem before - and this does take a while to load. Windows can be up & operational for a good minute before the tray icon appears. Until then, all internet traffic is blocked.

I'm lost - other than doing a full re-install, which I'd rather not! Any ideas?

Paul

rawprawn 17:49 01 Sep 2004

First check that all your connections inside your computer are properly seated, after that try a system file check go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow. you may need your OS disc. I'm not sure if this is the answer, but if nobody with a better idea posts, it' worth a try.

woodchip 18:16 01 Sep 2004

Is there a CD or DVD in the drive when this happens if so try removing it as it sounds like a CD read problem

plsndrs3 18:43 01 Sep 2004

rawprawn - have just run sfc /scannow. Must admit that I had overlooked this as I get the thing to load windows eventually - and sometimes even straight away [?]

woodchip - No CD or DVD in the drive - I always remove them before turning the PC off [although I also thought along those lines & have just caught myself checking the drive yet again anyhow!]

I'll see what happens as it is a random problem. otherwise, I guess I'll have to take the case off & check the connections - better than a full install. Maybe there's a dodgy IDE cable or power lead ......

Thanks for your suggestions

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?