Somethings Adrift -PC will only start in safe mode

JoanSims 21:32 17 Feb 2011

Hi,,, Somethings adrift with my Windows 7 PC.. For the past 2 days it has refused to start and goes into auto system recovery,only then to say that the problem is unknown and that I should unplug any new hardware or software. It will start up in safe mode abut I notice that before the Windows screen comes up I get a momentary black screen covered in groups of letter 'C'.
I'm assuming I've got a virus or somesuch because I guess it would'nt start ok in safe mode if there was a hardware fault.. I've installed the posh version of Avast (previously had the free version)and run it to no avail.I have tried system restoring to an earlier date with no luck... I'm out of ideas so I would be grateful for any assistance you can give me please.. regards JoanSims

JoanSims 21:56 17 Feb 2011

Thanks l24 for your uber quick response.. I'm searching for my 7 disk now..regards JS

BRYNIT 22:51 17 Feb 2011

You may be able to do a repair without the Win7 disk.

These are the instruction given to me.

Turn on the computer, and then press the F8 key repeatedly as the computer starts.

The Advanced Boot Options screen opens.

Select Repair Your Computer (this should be at the top of the list), and then press the Enter key.

Select a keyboard layout that matches your country/region, and click Next .

When the login prompt displays, select the user name with Administrator rights (not the Administrator) from the User Name menu. The user name with Administrator rights is usually the first user account set up during the initial computer setup.

Type the login password in the Password field, and then click OK (leave blank if no password). A System Recovery Options window opens.

Click Startup Repair . A Startup Repair window opens and automatically scans for startup problems.

rdave13 01:31 20 Feb 2011

Sounds like a duff hard drive with too many bad sectors to me. If under warranty contact the manufacturers.

JoanSims 10:21 23 Feb 2011

Hi.. Thanks for the various replies.. It turned out the graphics card had died.. It would get so far in the booting up process and then could'nt go any further hence the error messages... Of course by the time I had sussed it I had clean installed Windows 7 64bit and now (as we speak) I don't know what or how I can get everything back off the 'Windows old' file in a sensible and orderly manner,if anything.. Another option I have is that I took a complete back-up (not an image) a couple of weeks ago onto a DVD,so I'm wondering what will be on there AND how to install a backup correctly?... Again any help would be gratefully received...regards JS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 25 Feb 2011

Restore Files
click here

JoanSims 23:35 01 Mar 2011

Thanks for everyone's help.I seem to be doing ok now,,although I'm a bit dissapointed with Win dows 7 not being able to give me some sort of error message that the fault lay in the graphics card.. Only indication I had was a momentary screen with batches of 'C's on it just after booting up, then a message saying that Windows had failed to start..This naively led me to believe I had picked something nasty.. HoHum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?