something seriously wrong here. Need advice

Ray5776 21:08 21 Jan 2006

Hello everyone.
My problem started appx 3wks ago,PC would not boot up. This turned out to be a failed HD (Hitachi 120g appx 18mnths old) Using win2k pro OS pent 4 processor. The drive had failed completely would not even spin up (Tried also on another machine)
I did a clean Install of OS on my other Hd (Also Hitachi 120)
When I tried to boot, the BIOS could see the drive and boot sequence would start but would stop before completing (NO warning) just stop as if unplugged from mains, would keep retrying again and again and sometimes eventually work for about 5mins then shut down again.
On the advice of a friend (PC Engineer) I removed one of the memory cards, this improved things greatly but still took a few goes before booting and would still stop at random (Maybe every few minutes or may run for 10Hrs) but would still shutdown at random for no apparent reason.
Today I bought and installed a new PSU, this has also made a huge improvement (ie less shutdowns)
I still cant use the other memory card.
Sorry to be so lengthy but i am frustrated by not being able to find the root cause of the problem, I can make the thing work but i haven`t actually solved what was wrong.
ANY suggestions most appreciated I may have missed some simple point.

THANKS RAY

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 21 Jan 2006

Try checking the tempuatures in the case and CPU

Everest Home Edition click here

will do it for you.

Memory Test
click here

Ray5776 21:42 21 Jan 2006

Thanks for the link, case is open and cpu fan running, I cant find a download option on the Everest site to check the temps.

VoG II 21:45 21 Jan 2006

Use MBM click here

Ray5776 22:04 21 Jan 2006

VOG thanks for the link, looks like a useful tool but how do I download it I dont find very easy.

ray

VoG II 22:05 21 Jan 2006

Better link click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 21 Jan 2006

case is open

will cause incorrect airflow across components and temperatures will be higher than normal.

Ray5776 22:19 21 Jan 2006

thanks Fruitbat,
I would never have considered that on the reasoning that the more ventilation the better. I have now put the side panels back on.

Ray5776 22:22 21 Jan 2006

From what I can remember there is a means of checking the CPU temperature somewhere in win2k but I cannot remember how to access it.

jakimo 23:57 21 Jan 2006

Your mobo site should have a utility that you can download,and monitor the cpu temp.etc.

Ray5776 12:01 22 Jan 2006

Have found the temperatures Case is 87F, CPU 80-82F.
Sounds high to me but I don`t know what it should be.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?