Something called Personal AntiVirus - won't go awa

Valli1 00:30 23 Sep 2009

Hi. I have asked on here before and you guys always solved things, even the daft ones so here goes. A couple of days ago I got something popup called Personal Antivirus. As I have recently installed McAfee on PC (did have Norton) I assumed it was theirs (stupid) and clicked for it to scan. After it finished it wanted money????? NOW I cannot get rid of it. Tried Malware but then they wanted money??? I am unlucky with these things. Any ideas as to where it came from and more to the point HOW I get rid of it. I looked in my Programmes but nothing there that I would chance deleting as I am not sure what they all are and don't want to delete something that I need or I shouldn't. I am at my wits end as to how to get rid of this Personal Antivirus thing. I don't want it!!!!! Can anyone help PLEASE!!!!!!
Thanks Valli (who is too old to be up this time of night and on a PC in the first place) or so my sons' say!!!!!!!!!

birdface 08:41 23 Sep 2009

The free malwarebytes is your best bet but you could try this .

click here

Use the download button at the bottom.

You are going to have problems with any software you try to download as it will try and stop it.
So maybe wait until you can get the proper information that you need.

If you have any Anti-Spyware programs installed try running them in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and use the keyboard up down arrows to navigate to safe mode.]

birdface 09:33 23 Sep 2009

If all of those fail get someone to download this one from another computer and run it in safe mode if you can.

click here

This is a pay for program with a 30 day trial period but it will remove anything that it finds.If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.

birdface 10:57 23 Sep 2009

Hi.Just noticed that you have two threads going with the same subject.Can you close the one on Absolute beginners and just leave this one open.

Just tick the square and press resolved on your other thread as it only leads to confusion.

johnnyrocker 20:32 23 Sep 2009

just running the updated spy bot an it has caught fast anti virus 2009 and avg missed it

johnny

Valli1 01:15 24 Sep 2009

Hi. Thanks for all the tips. I have now taken it off the other board to avoid confusion. I now have something called Registry Mechanic that I cannot get rid of either. They have come from somewhere but they will not go. I tried the Malware Scan again but it kept saying I had to purchase to get the results fixed. Now I am twixt the devil and the deep blue sea. Do I ignore and hope they go - McAfee cannot find any faults - or is there someway I can get rid of them??? Sorry to sound so repetitive but I am so confused now. My son is in Afghanistan and so phone calls are VERY limited as to what he can help me with. Being a non technical minded oldie I feel such a nerd. I ought to be able to solve this -duh!!!!! Any further ideas guys. Any help would be so appreciated. Cheers. Valli

birdface 08:35 24 Sep 2009

It will not go away and it will probably get worse.Is there no one you know that can come and help.Registry mechanic is usually a legit program.
Will none of the click here's download and run for you.
Using your Security Programs in safe mode.

When computer starts keep tapping the F8 button till the computer stops in safe mode.
Use the up down keys on your keyboard to navigate to safe mode.
Once you get in there try and run any security programs that you have and see if they find anything.Remove or Quarantine anything found.
To get out of safe mode just do what you normally do when shutting down or restarting your computer.

birdface 08:49 24 Sep 2009

Free Malwarebytes .Just open this click here and press the free button on the left.

click here

If you have downloaded the pay for version by mistake you will probably have to remove that first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?