SOMETHING BETTER THAN WIN DEFRAG

ZEROTOLERANCE 23:09 06 Jun 2004

i am looking for a defrag utility and was going to download diskeeper lite , but then i noticed it only for windows upto win2000, can anyone reccomend a similar utility for xp?

thanx
ZT

VoG II 23:15 06 Jun 2004

click here it works with XP.

ZEROTOLERANCE 23:26 06 Jun 2004

ok i'll give iy a go

dagwoood 23:33 06 Jun 2004

I've been using Diskeeper Lite for over 2 months now, it's never caused any problems and it's a lot faster than the defrag utility that comes with XP(my o/s is XP Pro).

dagwoood.

mesmd 00:12 07 Jun 2004

I still use the demo of disklitever 7.0 (which the company can't inactivate for some unknown reason!) and it works great and fast for my 80gb hard drive. I had used other demos of disklite but they were inactivated after 15-30 days, as the company wanted me to buy a registered version. In any event, Disklite is ok to use and works well on win xp.
Miles

Stuartli 09:54 07 Jun 2004

XP's defrag (I use XP Pro) works perfectly satisfactorily and takes about 10-15 minutes in operation om my system.

Fastest isn't always the best route - accurate and thorough is more important.

AcidBurn7uk 14:55 07 Jun 2004

10-15 mins, how big is your hard-drive!? I have an 80gb and that take anywhere between 3-5 hours, depending on how fragmented my drive is. But even on my old 40 it took a good few hours!

dagwoood 15:12 07 Jun 2004

I agree that fastest isn't always the best, but I think you'll find that the defrag utility on Windows XP was provided by Executive Software(the people who make Diskeeper)and it's a more basic version of Diskeeper.

dagwoood.

Stuartli 15:27 07 Jun 2004

It's a 60GB WD600JB.

In fact although I defrag about once a month I'm usually informed that defragmentation is only about five or six per cent and it's not really necessary...:-)

AcidBurn7uk 18:08 07 Jun 2004

ah right, I was beginning to think that maybe I was missing a speed option or something. I have a bad habit of allowing my hard drive to become badly fragmented which would probably accound for why it always takes so long. Maybe if I kept on top of it, it would also take a short time.

Also the first thing that struck me when I started disk-keeper was the similarity between it and XP's defrag utilitie.

jimv7 19:16 07 Jun 2004

Stuartli, might interest you, but xp defrag does not do a full job, it does not do the page file, where exec. diskeeper does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017