SOMEONE'S STOLEN MY MEMORY!!!

emnade 11:39 08 Aug 2006

Took my PC to an engineer last month re hard drive failure. They fixed the problem by removing one of the 300GB drives (faulty), and setting me up on the remaining good 300GB drive.

Fetched the PC home, all's well. However, since then, PC has been running slower...

Checked system properties to find 1.87GB RAM, when 4GB is installed.

Opened PC, very dusty (18mths old), with two very shiny memory ports where the two x 1GB sticks were a couple of weeks ago.

Long shot, but can anyone tell me if it is possible to identify a before and after reading in computer via BIOS or some other means to prove the chips were there and then removed on a particular day/date??

Don't want to let them get away with this for the principle and the £200 worth of Platinum Corsair sticks removed...

Hopefully

emnade

Graham. 11:44 08 Aug 2006

Copy of Belarc Advisor languishing somewhere in My Documents?

I would raise the matter first with the engineer.

mgmcc 11:45 08 Aug 2006

Have you ever run an application such as Belarc Advisor? Its analysis, if you had run it prior to having the PC repaired, would have shown the number of slots and the amount of memory installed in each slot.

DJsmoothmoney 11:50 08 Aug 2006

If you haven't already tried it then take the RAM out while the computer is off. Then Replace the RAM again and check it is all correctly inserted.

knockin on 11:51 08 Aug 2006

it's an honest mistake: Graham's suggestion that you ask the engineer is a good one. If he has 'forgotten' to replace your memory sticks, this could give him a good let out to simply apologise anf return them.You could always hint that other people know of their presence in the machine before you brought it in. Sometimes 'softly, softly, works better than challenge. Hope so- good luck

wee eddie 11:57 08 Aug 2006

The loss of the Memory Sticks will be very difficult to prove unless you have evidence that the sticks were in place when the Engineer received the PC.

As above, I would start with the softly softly approach

Simsy 12:13 08 Aug 2006

that they may have had to remove the memory in order to remove the duff HDD. Obviously they shouldn't have forgotten to replace it... but it's possible.

I'd assume this is the case and approach them with this scenario in mind.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Forum Editor 17:59 08 Aug 2006

Start by assuming that the RAM was removed in connection with the work, and somebody forgot to replace it.

Suggest exactly that to your engineer, and see what the reaction is.

emnade 15:39 18 Aug 2006

Ok, I went back and suggested that they had removed and forgotten to replace the memory.

They admitted they had removed the 2GB sticks because it was too much memory for the PC???

They said it was slowing the system down...

My system overview:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 4GB Corsair Platinum RAM (now 2GB), 600GB hard disk, XP Pro SP2, 256MB graphics card, 3x 19" monitors, running MS Office Pro, CAD drawing programs, NOD32 a/v, GIANT a/s, photo processing software and a ship full of other high memory/processor consuming programs, usually simultaneously.

I just bought the exact system again for our home office except the processor is now an AMD2 FX62 - 2.8GHz and it runs like a rocket so I don't get the engineers claims but nor do I claim to be a PC engineer...

Are they taking the p***. My new system would initially lay claim to that, but I need a bit more to go on.

Many, many thanks for your kind and wise responses to date.

Regards

Adrian

beynac 16:52 18 Aug 2006

If they removed them they should, of course, have given them back to you and explained what they had done. Even if they are correct in what they say, they have no right to keep the memory sticks.

Echo1 17:07 18 Aug 2006

I don't know much about computers (in the technical sense) but having more memory will not slow down your computer - how could it?

Ask them for it back as it's your property. What they have done is dis-honest and surely broke n the law (as in not giving you your property back).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?