I have a 3Com ADSL Wireless Firewall Router
networking my 2 Desktops, a printer and a laptop
with a very good signal strength

I live in a mid terrace property

When all my computers are switched off
sometimes my Router lights flash madly

is there someone using my wireless network
and the broadband connection ?

How can I check and identify the culprit ?

If so, how can I prevent it please ?

MarvintheAndroid 22:10 19 Jul 2008

You can't, but what you can do is secure your wireless connection to prevent others from accessing it. click here

The lights may just be general activity though, for example if the connection has gone down and the router is trying to re-establish.

Marv.

cream. 22:31 19 Jul 2008

Before you enable the security settings of the router, if you haven't already done this. Go to the routers setup pages and enable the Mac address filtering option.

This should tell you which computers access the router and their unique Mac address code.

jarani 22:56 19 Jul 2008

Marvin and Percy - many thanks to you both - jarani

GEEKSTA 01:05 20 Jul 2008

I dont know if this will help with your type of router,, but it works on most routers..

if you type in 192.168.1.1 into your addres bar in your internet explorer - this will load the router settings.

Now from there, you can see the attathced devices, and it wil show ther computer name and the mac address of the wireless device, and that computers ip adress. There should be only 1, which is you.

If there is 2 people your router is bein used by someone else.

To stop this, just set a password up on your network.

jarani 16:25 20 Jul 2008

Geeksta - thank you - jarani

woodchip 17:26 20 Jul 2008

Go into 3Com Setup Page and check the Log at the bottom left check the time when you think it was being used also check the mack with your own. If you are using wireless then you should setup Wireless withing 3Com on Wireless Page and Encrypt as WPA. Not forgetting to write down the Encryption key that you use plus SSID to put into Wireless settings on the Computer running as wireless

peter99co 17:55 20 Jul 2008

Why do you leave your router switched on?

jarani 21:15 20 Jul 2008

woodchip - I will have a go
peter - good question - habit I suppose - jarani

woodchip 23:28 20 Jul 2008

I have the 3Com router and started turning all off at night, and if any sign of thunder I remove the BT plug

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie