Someone using my router!

Dell Latitude 15:15 18 Aug 2006

Hi guys i realy need help, i have just found out someone is using my wireless because i saw a user with a name like hammer or something on the software my router came with and it is realy getting annoying. I have a password on the wireless and i dont know how the person got the password because i ahve not told anyone. I have been getting very annoying problems recently, the computers in my house keep disconnecting and recconecting themselves from the router which i made a post about before. The speed of my internet sometime slows down also. I am now using my dads Aol Through Dial-Up as a temporary connection. What can i do, i am afraid of turning the router back on. Could the person get into my files?
thanks for all help

ade.h 15:34 18 Aug 2006

So you didn't bother to use any of its security features then?

YOSF.

Tell me what make and model you use and I'll let you know if I have a guide for it.

click here

Dell Latitude 15:45 18 Aug 2006

Hi ade.h i have a Dell 2350 Router

Dell Latitude 15:49 18 Aug 2006

and yes i had a password on it, i thought that would be enough security.

ade.h 15:49 18 Aug 2006

Can't help you there, then, unless you know the true manufacturer. I assume that it's a badge-marketed product?

ade.h 15:50 18 Aug 2006

No; passwords are not enough. How is that going to stop anyone making a connection? You need to use encryption - and good encryption at that. Passwording a router is just one of the subsidiary tasks for a secure network.

FelixTCat 15:51 18 Aug 2006

Dell Latitude,

That is a real problem, but there are easy solutions. You will have to protect your wireless network.

There are 4 stages:

1. Encrypt your wireless settings

2. Change your router's password

3. Change and hide your wireless SSID (network name)

4. Restrict the MAC addresses that can log on

Only do one stage at a time and make sure that everything works before moving on to the next. It is also easier to make the changes from a wired connection so that you can still access the router if the wireless goes wrong. You may have to refer to your router's instructions to find he details specific to your router.

1. In your router's setup you will find a facility to encrypt the wireless network. If you have a choice of WEP and WPA, use WPA with the Private Key setting. Choose and input a phrase that you will remember. WRITE IT DOWN FIRST. Put the same phrase in the WPA setting for your pc's wireless adapter(s). Check that you can still use the wireless network.

2. Now change the router's setup password and , if possible, the log-on name (NOT your ISP's adsl log-on and password. WRITE IT DOWN FIRST. This will stop any intruder accessing your router's set-up. Test that you can log in after the change.

3. Go to the router's wireless setup pages and change the wireless network SSID. WRITE IT DOWN FIRST. There is normally also an option to hide (not transmit) the SSID. If there is, tick that option. Now log on with your wireless pc. You will find your network but there will be no network name. Tell your software to join that network and, when it asks, enter the SSID manually. You may also have to re-enter the encryption key. Make sure that you can join the network.

4. Every network device has a discrete MAC number. It is either written on it, or you can find it by opening a cmd window (Start - Run - cmd) and typing ipconfig /all The MAC address is listed as the Physical Address and is in the format xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx where x can be a number or the letters A - F. Your router may have a facility for restricting the wireless adapters that can get IP addresses to those you list (mine is under Firewall as MAC Address Filtering). Enter the MAC addresses of ALL the adapters in your system - outsiders will not then be able to join your network.

As long as you do this carefully and stage by stage you will have no problems and will keep intruders out.

Regards,

Felix

Dell Latitude 15:51 18 Aug 2006

its dell what do you mean true manufactor i thought it was dell!

Dell Latitude 15:53 18 Aug 2006

thanks all and FelixTCat thanks for all that info ill try that.

Meshuga 16:54 18 Aug 2006

>> What do you mean by True Manufacturer<<
Your PC may be badged with Dell but you will probably find that most, if not all of the components are made by other manufacturers for Dell.

ade.h 17:00 18 Aug 2006

Dell does not make routers any more than it makes printers. Yet you can buy Lexmark printers with Dell logos on them....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?