Someone using my Broadband?

zimara 09:29 20 Sep 2009

I recently got a message from talk talk stating i had gone over my 40gb download limit for the month of Aug. I know my household could never have used this much and i have been experiencing a slower service.
I think someone might be hijacking my connection, is there a way to know for sure?

I have a vista 64bit machine.

I have also enabled WEP on my router, something i didn't know about before this issue!!

Tech Guy 12:11 20 Sep 2009

If you has on "open" wireless connection, there is a very good chance that one of your neighbours has been using your internet.

I would NOT use WEP, as it's shockingly weak. Use WPA2, then you'll have a secure connection.

The only way to know now if they have been using it is if, now that you've secured the connection, the speed picks up and no more letters from Talktalk.

Strawballs 22:46 22 Sep 2009

As you are using Vista got to network places and what comes up, I recently connected next doors laptop to my wireless to prove to them that the problem they were having was their ISP and not their lappy and for a while their PC name was coming up in my network places.

zimara 07:11 23 Sep 2009

Thank you for the responses.

I've now changed from WEP to WPA, i sure hope that secures our line.

Much appretiated chaps!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?