someone plz help :):):):):)

stephen1978 08:26 15 May 2009

i have a big problem this morning

i installed vista home basic on to ma laptop last month but i never put in the windows key (which i've now misplaced :()

now when ive got up today my laptop saying that my windows are not genuine and i cant accsess my desktop or anything else i was intending to put windows home premium on the laptop but have'nt got round to it :(

is there anyway around this as i could just put the vista premium disk in and do a fresh install but i need stuff on the laptop before i formatt it

someone plz help

rawprawn 08:31 15 May 2009

If you have the Vista Home Premium Disc, just do a clean install.

stephen1978 08:36 15 May 2009

thats wat i intend to do but i ned things from the hard drive but cant accsess it :(

rawprawn 08:37 15 May 2009

Sorry, I didn't read the last part.

rawprawn 09:12 15 May 2009

Can you do a repair install in Vista as you would in XP?
I have found a site on Google that is supposed to tell you but I can't get it to open.
click here

rawprawn 09:17 15 May 2009

click here
It doesn't look as though it is possible.

Kevscar1 09:29 15 May 2009

your only way is to buy a key from microsoft.

rdave13 09:30 15 May 2009

Try contacting Microsoft with your problem; click here

bjh 10:30 15 May 2009

You can still access the hard drive - but not from the Vista operating system. Ideally, using that hard drive as a "D" drive, or in an external closure, will allow you to access the files on it.

You "may" be able to do this by putting a "new" version of Vista Home Premium on, as it should offer you the opportunity to save the old OS files. However, I'm not sure if two OS from the same generation will give you this option.

A third way is to use a boot cd - I'd recommend Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
click here

Bob The Blob 11:31 15 May 2009

Or would a linux live CD work too?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?