Someone Please Help: Assaulted by intruders!

reeceh 01:47 11 Jun 2007

Does anyone know the procedure for getting rid of spyware and virus warnings in the taskbar of my computer. I was visiting one of the naughty sites a few days ago and afterwards there were some foreign icons on my taskbar (the one that runs across the bottom width of the screen). I have uninstalled the program from ad/remove program, but the messages keep appearing: System Alert: [email protected] When I attempt to right-click on the balloon it takes me to the site, where of course they are trying to sell me security software. In addition to this problem, I cannot change my homepage back to my comcast page. When I go into Tools/Internet Options and try to change it, it never works. Someone please help!!

Taff™ 06:31 11 Jun 2007

I`ve looked at several answers to this and this is the easiest initially using programs I am personally familiar with. click here Follow the instructions for the "Best Answer"

If that fails click here and download HiJack This. Then click here and follow the instructions to run the program and post the logs on the Malware Removal Forum. (They are generally too long to run on this forum)

skidzy 06:36 11 Jun 2007

Live and learn i guess !

Ok some advice here for some apps that may shift this click here

Or use this for removal click here

Taff™ 06:45 11 Jun 2007

Perhaps I should add that you need to make sure that you have a good antivirus with the latest definiions running. I use Avast which is free from Skidzy`s first link.

His second link is very similar to my solution but I wouldn`t recommend running HiJack this and attempting to solve the problem yourself.

skidzy 06:49 11 Jun 2007

Taff™'s advice is sound regarding HJT.

Your best advice here is to follow the HJT route and post the scan log at MRF,and let the experts help you through this.

reeceh 00:11 14 Jun 2007

Taff your suggestion totally worked - you are totally awesome.

Thanks,

reeceh

Taff™ 07:53 14 Jun 2007

Out of interest did you have to go as far as the HJT posting on the malware forum?

Glad you`re sorted - mark thread as resolved?

p;3 09:40 14 Jun 2007

how WAS this resolved?

Sethhaniel 10:17 14 Jun 2007

Right Click 'Start' button
select 'Properties'
select 'Taskbar tab'
tick 'Hide inactive icons'
select 'Customize'
select the offending item and in drop down box
select 'Always Hide'

and let spyware/malware progs clear the rest ;)

jam500 11:07 14 Jun 2007

I had a similer problem, A icon put itself on my taskbar and a popup said i had no virus protection on, I know i did so i clicked on the icon like it asked and was taken to a anti virus site that said buy this now. I did not buy it but i could also not get rid of the warning so i rolled back to before it was there and that got rid.

reeceh 23:31 16 Jun 2007

Thanks jam500, but Taff's solution totally worked. I didn't think about doing a restore system settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?