someone deleted windows setup files!

theDarkness 00:13 04 Feb 2010

Someone has deleted files on my laptop, so when I set up either a new admin, guest, or general account, and then click on the start button with "all programs", I find that regular windows options and folders such as "games" are missing! Do I have no option but to restore? I now only have this one admin account available. I tried creating a new account, but some windows options and standard folders that should appear after clicking on "all programs" are still missing

Audio~~Chip 00:37 04 Feb 2010

Sound like XP and someone has removed components of the operating system. Which windows please

theDarkness 01:47 04 Feb 2010

its vista, but its more or less identical to xp. the original programs themselves have not been deleted, just the windows default shortcuts-but not all windows shortcuts are in found in the "c:hard drive>programs" path. If I restore some missing shortcuts again that are easy to find, thats fine, but as soon as I add another user, they are missing again for that user! The new user doesnt have a games folder with all the shortcuts for them, or shortcuts for windows update, windows catalogue, windows search etc etc

perhaps i should save myself the hassle and reinstall or restore, but i thought there might be an easy way around the problem. i might have to wait for a major windows update! lol

crosstrainer 07:07 04 Feb 2010

Try a Vista repair install:

click here

Read the Link about the BIOS change to boot from DVD / CD first, then follow the steps exactly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?