Some web-pages won't open

sheila.weston 17:49 31 Jan 2006

Can someone help, please. I can browse the web quite happily, but occasionally a web page will not open and has a tiny square in the top LH corner. I have unblocked the popups for these pages, but they still won't open and guess it is something to do with other security settings. But which and where?

Sheila

ade.h 17:52 31 Jan 2006

Can you tell us what browser and firewall you are using?

sheila.weston 12:11 01 Feb 2006

Sorry, I am using Internet Explorer, Avast virus protector and the ordinary M/S Firewall. I think it is something to do with Active X BUT on one page (forget which!) I was told to download a file from another website and can't remember what it was called.

I understand that there is a nasty virus about at the moment (Nyxem-see click here), so don't want to lower my protection for a few days. However, I am not convinced that the problem is entirely about Active X controls.

Sheila

ade.h 14:40 01 Feb 2006

Probably very little to do with Active-X, but if you move to Firefox, you will do away with it completely because an IE thing. It's not that websites require it, but that IE uses to hande certain functions. it has always been a security hole, which is why the other browsers have never even bothered asking Microsoft for the right to use it!

Turn off that awful XP firwall; get one that actually handles outbound comms and controls programs. Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall is the second best available - the best is called Outpost - and has a very good free version. click here for the download; it will revert to free spec after the trial period. While it is running in full mode, please be sure to disable Web Filtering.

sheila.weston 10:41 14 Feb 2006

Many thanks, ade.h. My computer is away for repair at the moment and I have been away too, hence the delay in replying - have just got online with the laptop. Will Firefox run alongside IE, or do I have to delete IE first? I'll follow your suggestions when I get the computer back.

ade.h 14:15 14 Feb 2006

You can't delete IE; it's part of the OS. You can have as many browsers as you like.

sheila.weston 15:53 14 Feb 2006

Many thanks ade.h. I'll mark this thread as resolved now.
Sheila

palinka 20:05 14 Feb 2006

sheila - you'll find that you haven't marked it as resolved, probably because you tried to do it while writing your last response. If you go back to your thread, scroll to the bottom; tick the square next to Resolved and tHEN click Resolved. That'll do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?