Some strange files on my F:/ drive.

pj123 15:04 14 Jun 2007

I have a 160gb hard drive as a slave, nominated as F:

I use it only for transferring my Beta/VHS tapes prior to burning on to DVD.

Once done, I delete all files on F: prior to doing the next batch. Today, I notice I have some files:

timounter.dll, timountermonitor.exe, tishell32.dll and tishell.dll. on this drive.

According to Google these files are part of Acronis.

I don’t have and never have had Acronis on my computer, so where did these files come from. More to the point, how did they get on to my F: drive? I have checked my C: drive and they don’t appear to be on there anywhere.

I can’t delete them as I get a message: “Can’t delete xxxxx as they are being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again”.

I run ccleaner regularly and also have adaware, spybot, spywareblaster. AVG is my anti-virus program and I am running Comodo firewall.

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

keef66 15:10 14 Jun 2007

have a look in task manager to see what might be using them. Close down the apps one at a time and try deleting them.

Maybe Acronis True Image was used to create a restore partition or disk image by the original system builder??

(I had a Norton Ghost image on mine, but no software to go with it)

pj123 17:16 14 Jun 2007

keef66, thanks. I am the system builder and the C: drive on this PC is 40gb with XP Home SP2 and all applications. The F: drive is 160gb and a slave on the same IDE cable as the C: drive. Both drives are Maxtor's and have been set up using Maxblast 4.

There is absolutely nothing to with Acronis on this computer.

brundle 17:21 14 Jun 2007

Maxblast does have a connection with Acronis apparently ; click here

As does Seagate DiscWizard

brundle 17:24 14 Jun 2007

And here, click here

A single mention in the EULA wasn't very explanatory

keef66 21:34 14 Jun 2007

Brundle's hit the nail on the thumb!

pj123 13:42 15 Jun 2007

Thanks a lot Guys. I now see where it has come from.

I knew that Seagate and Maxtor had merged but didn't know that included an affinity with Acronis.

I have been using Maxblast 4 for quite a while now and have just recently downloaded Maxblast 5.

Problem solved.

Will tick and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?