Some programmes very slow loading

jessej 14:29 07 Nov 2003

Hi there.
I think I may have a problem which has got me completely stumped.
For sometime I used a prog. 'Advanced Uninstaller 2.0' from Innovative Software with no problems at all. Then they offered me an upgrade to v. 6.0 Pro at a big discount which I accepted. Trouble is, it takes, and I've timed it, 1 min. 35 sec. to appear on screen. I reported this to them and I was asked to supply a little info.: What OS (Win XP Home); what processor (Via Cyrix III); its speed (534MHz)and RAM (512MB) They came back and said they had ran a test on a computer with less resources and it popped up on screen in just 10 sec. They went on to suggest that the problem was on my machine, probably within Windows itself. I must add they also offered me a refund. I'm inclined to go along with what they said as there are over progs. that take an age to load, though not quite that long. One possible pointer I have come across, I also have Diskeeper 8.0 on trial, when I click on the pop-up 'Buy Now' I get the message >C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe > ERROR, Cannot execute internet browser. Any connection or is this something entirely different? Anyhow after speaking to Executive Software (Diskeeper) they suggest downloading the prog. and buying it from their site as a way round that one. Oh, one other thing, I have recently reformated and reinstalled XP.
As always, all suggestions (short of buying a new PC) gratefully received.

OneSirKnight 16:03 07 Nov 2003

have you tried start/run/type sfc scannow with xp cd in rom?
space between sfc and scannow,if xp installation starts just select exit .and run sfc

jessej 09:11 08 Nov 2003

Thanks for your reply, yes I've tried that, no change. Incidentally, 2 or 3 weeks ago a computer engineer, genuine, that I know remarked on how slow the computer was, he messed about with it in hiw workshop and though he managed to speed it up from what it was, which was pathetic, the problem remains. The only other thing he could suggest was upgrading the processor with the remark that he didn't think it was worth doing much at all and I should really be considering a replacement. Anyhow thanks again for trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017