Some of my Desktop Icons won't open

grifval 09:51 07 Sep 2007

Hi,
Probably something I have done, or I have just had a Win32/PEPatch virus/malware, now cleaned out, has stopped some of my essential Desktop Icons opening with a double/click of the mouse, i.e. Recycle Bin, Control Panel, and a Tools icon I keep all my handy cleaner programs in. How can I get them to work open again with the mouse. I am not afraid to go into the Registry and change something, as I know to back up the Registry first.
Thanks, grifval

brundle 10:52 07 Sep 2007

#72 click here

Not sure if it means enable/disable in the way that you require - it might turn them on and off altogether, but worth a try

grifval 13:51 07 Sep 2007

HI brundle
What a great site. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for though. I think there is a setting in the Registry to open the programs from the Desktop Icons, I just need to know where itis, and what to set it as. I think it was altered when the virus was cleaned out of my PC.
Thanks again
grifval

Eric10 14:22 07 Sep 2007

Do you get the menu with the "open" option when you right-click the icon and if so does it open the program?

grifval 14:26 07 Sep 2007

Yes it does. Seems a long way round to it. Where is the container for the recycle bin, I was going to try a new shortcut?

grifval

emperor ming 14:31 07 Sep 2007

restore recycle bin icon
click here
win xp fixes

grifval 14:41 07 Sep 2007

Thanks for that. I tried it, and it said it had made an entry into my Regisry, but it didn't work. It is still unresponsive.
grifval

grifval 15:00 07 Sep 2007

Hi 'The Raven'
Thanks. I followed the steps, but all entries in my Regisry were already there. I think that was to put a Recycle Bin on my desktop, but I already have the icon, it just won't open with the mouse clicks.
grifval

try a sfc /scannow,you may be asked for your xp cd

click here

Eric10 15:24 07 Sep 2007

Since you can open the programs from the right-click menu then the obvious thing to check is the double-click speed for the mouse in Control Panel. This may have been increased so you can't double-click fast enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?